Please help me figure this out...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

deputydad23

Reaction score
I have an antique snuff bottle which was given to me by my mother. My mother was friends with a lady who owned an antiques shop and was given the bottle as a birthday gift one year. Since I can recall, I have always been intrigued by this bottle and as a birthday gift to me a few years back she passed it down. I know its a snuff bottle, however I do not know the age or the material its made from. I originally thought this was ivory, now I question it and think it could be bone. The artwork is very detailed and I am assuming that this is pre 1900 however I could be wrong. I know enough to know this is not a reproduction I just do not know enough to place a date on this piece. I spoke with an appraiser over the phone once and was told that these could be worth upwards of 10K depending on what you have, however I have no idea what mine is or what it could even be worth. If someone has some knowledge and could please educate me, I would love to know. Also just out of curiosity what would something like this go for in an auction just in case I was wanting to sell it later on down the road. Thanks everyone for your time and help!

Brandon
Northern CA

4CDB781468824B7D9D8EDF0462CD9EB8.jpg

Attachments

• 4CDB781468824B7D9D8EDF0462CD9EB8.jpg
    4CDB781468824B7D9D8EDF0462CD9EB8.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 92

deputydad23

Reaction score
here is another picture of the stopper and the tiny wooden spoon attached the entire bottle is approx 3 1/2" tall and very light. Thr ring around the lid appears to be brass or copper possibly.

Thanks again!

Brandon
Northern CA

37F14FFDBD5E47ADADBFCF0749A4D675.jpg

Attachments

• 37F14FFDBD5E47ADADBFCF0749A4D675.jpg
    37F14FFDBD5E47ADADBFCF0749A4D675.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 122

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Brandon,

Welcome to the A-BN, and thanks for showing us your snuff.

You have a Chinese snuff bottle there. I don't think it's ivory, either. Chinese snuff bottles are not our strong suit here at A-BN. We do have a knowledgeable member on Chinese snuffs, but he does not come here that often.

I'd point you towards The Snuff Bottle Forum for a better characterization of exactly what you have.

Chinese-snuff-bottle-inside-painted-person-portrait-picture-for-gift-low-price-to-USA-or-EMP.jpg

deputydad23

Reaction score
Thank you very much for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate your time!

splante

Reaction score
no clue but a very cool bottle thanks for showing it

springhead

Reaction score
Plastic made to look like cinnabar... very common and inexpensive. If you look closely you will see tiny air bubbles in the material.

surfaceone

Reaction score
Plastic made to look like cinnabar...

Hey springhead,

I'm not quite sure if you're talking about his piece, or the stopper on the modern one I put up. If his, wouldn't it be a reddish color, as Cinnabar, that I've seen, has always been red.

picture1.jpg
From.

cinnabar.jpg
From.

springhead

Reaction score
The Chinese used a white lacquer also... I assumed it was called cinnabar... I'm probably wrong. The vases and plate cinnabar looking things come in black, red and white.... It;s all the same... plastic resin made to look like carved cinnabar lacquer.

springhead

Reaction score
The red one you posted Surfaceone is the same. Commonly seen at antique shows and flea markets among the fake Chinese stuff. I call them fake because that is what they are. Recent productions made to fool people.Up there with the bronzes and jades but not as clever... heh...

xxfollyxx

Reaction score
Do the needle test. Heat up a needle with a lighter and push it into an inconspicuous area. If it goes in, be disappointed, its plastic.

For any high priced item, I shoot 8-10 emails with pics to auction galleries and ask for a free rough estimate. I buy storage units so this method is great for all the unique or hard to price items.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter