Please help!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

ksmommy

Reaction score
Hello!

I am a first timer, so I hope that soemone could give me a hand...[8|]
I have recently traveled to Romania to visit my family and my father gave me an bottle with a cross in it. It has been in our family for years and it was given to my dad by someone who got it from someone from prison. It has writen 1L written on it and it's in very good shape. It is handmade and it looks antique. I will post a picture maybe someone can give me an idea or direct me where I can gather more info.
Thank you!

Us53370.jpg

Attachments

• Us53370.jpg
    Us53370.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 75

Pontiled

Reaction score
From the brief description, it could be a very large Holy Water bottle from Europe.

Send us an attachment and we'll see what you have.

Welcome aboard to the Forum, a group that generally knows more about bottles than you can find elsewhere!

old digger

Reaction score
Dito, sure sounds like a Holy Water bottle, we have a small one, pic sure would help!

ksmommy

Reaction score
thank you all!
I have posted a picture, but I guess it doesn't work... I will try again!

Om33419.jpg

Attachments

• Om33419.jpg
    Om33419.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 87

ksmommy

Reaction score
in the picture the cross and the tools look as they were made out of cork, but they are wood! I am posting another close up! There are 8 pieces included inside on both sides of the cross.

Thank you again!

Vt56721.jpg

Attachments

• Vt56721.jpg
    Vt56721.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 75

old digger

Reaction score
Sorry, not a Holy Water bottle, no ideal of what the thing inside the bottle is, it's a type of art that has been done for ages, like ships, houses, all manner of things are built in side of bottles. Wish I could be of more help! Might try looking on the web. I'll try myself just to see what I can find. Back later if I find anything.

ksmommy

Reaction score
Thank you all so much, I will keep looking. You all gave me some good points to start from. Thanx![:D]

old digger

Reaction score
Another great site for you to try is sdjones.net/FolkArt/Crosses, she has an e-mail and may be able to help. She has written books, has a great web site with loads of info., good luck! , let us know if you find out more about yours!

scduckett

Reaction score
I CAN'T believe what I'm seeing!!! My mother in law (who was Polish by way of Berlin, Germany) brought one of these bottles with her when she came to the states with my father in law (he being a US soldier). The articles in the bottle are folk representations of the crucifixion and ministry of Christ. I can't remember what they all stand for but they are very symbolic and mostly have Catholic origin (I think). Harry Pristis, this is one for you!! Help us out here. (By the way, I don't think the bottle itself is considered an antique but the whole is certainly remarkable)
Susan

Adsum

Reaction score
I bought a similar bottle in the 70'S. It was a crucifixion scene inside a clear glass 13 oz. whiskey flask. The old homeless fellow who sold it to me said he used to be an alcoholic and since he was now sober this is how he made some of his money. The bottle contained plain water and because of the size of the articles inside, they had to be dismounted, inserted and then remounted inside the bottle. The reason I bought it was because I was impressed by the story and the skill needed to build this stuff inside the bottle. I suspected that there was a trick to the whole thing. I looked at this bottle and its contents for a long time, I concluded that the dry wood pieces are inserted in the bottle, some have to be reattached with some sort of tool. Then the water is added and then the wood pieces swells. It then looks like an impossible feat. Don't know where that bottle went to.
That's my two cents worth.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tina Luallen