Pontil Bottle - What's the Use?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi All -

I picked up this open pontil bottle last weekend at a local shop. I don't collect pontils in general but this one caught my eye. It's 6.5 inches tall, 1.75 inches across the base and nearly 2 inches across the shoulder. The glass is very thin through the body and neck and has a slight aqua tint. It also leans a little to one side. I was curious as to the purpose of this bottle - it's really quite delicate and also amazing that it has made it through all these years without any damage! Any info would be appreciated.

-Sam

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Here's the pic.

Ig12116.jpg

Great bottle !!! Pictures reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

tazmainiendigger

Reaction score
Hi Sam nice old utility bottle. Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like your specimen does not have a seam?? It is amazing these bottles survived a bumpy buggy ride or on horse back from days ago. I have read these bottles had various use, inks, med's etc... Here is one of my favorites early utility's.... 1 1/4" X 3 1/4" green/aqua with label and contents, the crude brown label just says "Known Emetic"[:'(] I would guess this bottle would be late 1700's-early 1800's, actual value for yours or mine, probally $15-20, but they are priceless to me! How is that book coming?? Taz

Jh16199.jpg

Attachments

• Jh16199.jpg
    Jh16199.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 57

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BigJayKay