Age & Style of Pontil?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
Just looking for an estimate of age for this bottle and opinions on the style of pontil. The base has a ring of sand embedded in it, thus I'm assuming it's a sand pontil.

Attachments

• Old Black 1.jpg
    Old Black 1.jpg
    275.9 KB · Views: 144
  • Old Black 2.jpg
    Old Black 2.jpg
    214.4 KB · Views: 151
  • Old Black 3.jpg
    Old Black 3.jpg
    253.6 KB · Views: 145

Roy

Reaction score
Just looking for an estimate of age for this bottle and opinions on the style of pontil. The base has a ring of sand embedded in it, thus I'm assuming it's a sand pontil.
DeepSeaDan:
From my very limited knowledge of sand pontils, I'd say it sure looks like one to me. Nice bottle.
Others on this forum are way better at dating these bottles than I am , especially if it was possibly not made in the USA, so I will be watching to see their thoughts on a date for it.
Roy

DeepSeaDan

Reaction score
DeepSeaDan:
From my very limited knowledge of sand pontils, I'd say it sure looks like one to me. Nice bottle.
Others on this forum are way better at dating these bottles than I am , especially if it was possibly not made in the USA, so I will be watching to see their thoughts on a date for it.
Roy
Thanks Roy. It seems Harry Pristis is an expert in black glass bottles; I’m hoping this thread catches his eye!

Roy

Reaction score
Thanks Roy. It seems Harry Pristis is an expert in black glass bottles; I’m hoping this thread catches his eye!
I hope Harry sees it also but I haven't seen him on here in a long time. I hope he's okay. Roy

Roy

Reaction score
I hope Harry sees it also but I haven't seen him on here in a long time. I hope he's okay. Roy
Well Dan, I thought some of the experts on bottle dating would weigh in on that bottle, but since they don't seem to be jumping in, I will put in my 2 cents.
My thoughts are your bottle is definitely sand pontiled, and dates mid to late 1700s, to possibly very early 1800s, possibly made in the US, but more likely from across the pond. I would most likely not tumble that one. I think the aging looks good on that type of bottle.

Roy

Fenndango

Reaction score
Would that be an ale? Is that a string lip?

Roy

Reaction score
Would that be an ale? Is that a string lip?
Fenndango,
Maybe an ale, or porter, I really don't know.
I don't know what they call that top.
I tried to match it up with pictures of black glass bottles on the internet.
I could be totally wrong about the date, but it wouldn't be the first time!!!
Roy

TROG

Reaction score
This bottle could have held wine or even Porter and would have been made in England and dates around 1820

Reactions: Roy

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lichen