Pontil French Ink ?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

kungfufighter

Reaction score
Oh, and to support Doug's thoughts I agree that is likely an American made bottle and probably a New England one. If the stated dimensions are correct it is also quite a bit larger in diameter than is the norm in that most are just a little broader than they are tall...

earlyglass

Reaction score
$350... already past fair market value... I don't think so. They are wonderful inks. I have seen them sell for anywhere between $400-800. This one is different than most as it has an applied lip... all that I have seen are sheared lip examples. They look very much like CT blown inks to me, circa 1830s. A large impressive ink!

Mike

99BB390B5EA64D0592D495DD8EDB5D71.jpg

Attachments

• 99BB390B5EA64D0592D495DD8EDB5D71.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 31

annie44

Reaction score
I am not familiar with the auction house someone mentioned on this thread.....do they often sell antique bottles? Do they list the auction items online?

kungfufighter

Reaction score
As usual, Mike is spot on - the applied lip is an appealing and very different mouth treatment.

blade

Reaction score
I missed out on the ink which sold for $325. I had left a bid of $300. Annie, Horst auctions mainly deals with estate sales with an occasional bottle showing up, they do not have online bidding.

blade

Reaction score
I just missed out on the ink. I had left a bid of $300 and the ink sold for $325. Annie, Horst Auctions specializes in estate sales which sometimes includes old bottles, they do not offer online bidding.

pa bottle miner

Reaction score
As I stated earlier, the sheared top and LIGHTER examples are quite valuable. This one was standard "black glass" and a fairly light strike. Although I rarely see one with a heavy strike. Put it on ebay and see what it brings. Smart money has it at not a dollar over $300. Now if you were to consign it with Mr. Heckler then you might get a little more for it. I don't fret over the prices realized at Lancaster and York County auctions. It just proves that the market is strong in spite of a weak economy. I'm even hearing now that discriminating dealers are starting to buy on Ebay and sell at auction galleries. I guess the Ebay tide is beginning to ebb. Not surprising as healthy prices are fueling the live auction circuit and Ebay continues to increase their seller fees.
I digress. Mike, your inks in the picture are quite nice. I could easily see those variants realizing above $600 maybe even beyond $800 if there were a couple of deep pockets in the room. As we who specialize in antique bottles know, color is most times king when it comes to value. A green 6 log drakes for instance? I would gladly trade my medium amber 6 log for that. Or something more subtle like a cherry puce, ie not far from medium amber. A few shades of color can mean 100s or 1,000s of dollars.

ORIGINAL: earlyglass

$350... already past fair market value... I don't think so. They are wonderful inks. I have seen them sell for anywhere between $400-800. This one is different than most as it has an applied lip... all that I have seen are sheared lip examples. They look very much like CT blown inks to me, circa 1830s. A large impressive ink!

Mike

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kennyg1960