Pontiled at last!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlediger

Reaction score
VERY VERY NICE COBALT!!! WHAT A BEAUTY!!!! that is an extremly nice bottle, the same bottle was dug here in york last week when a couple of diggers from balt came up to York and dug some privys. There is a lot of differnt styles, i think the flaired lip is actally the rare verison. ET Miller has been in bus. since the 1830's or 40's, the earlist bottle is embossed East Berlin Adams CO that is the hardest ET Miller to find and I have only seen once personly and its on my shelf right now :) Ill show it to ya when ya come up and pick that milk up.
I must say again what a find, I have yet to find a York pontil, I have had to buy mine. I hope you find lots more great stuff, looks like a great area with lots of potential! Keep em comin bro

Ry

bottlediger

Reaction score
Here is a pic of my york one, ill show ya the adams co one when ya come up its in a display case right now
IMG_4697.jpg

zanes_antiques

Reaction score
Congrats Steve on your first Pontil! I hope to find a local one soon. I've dug a few pontiled bottles and even one local but I didn't get it in my picks that dig. Congrats again and you'll be digging a lot more of them once you have gotten the first one under your belt. I plan on making my way down to see Ryan, soon, maybe we can dig some?

LC

Reaction score
I got luck only one time as for digging a pontiled bottle. Stumbled onto what was left of a privy that a dozer cut off a hillside in Cincinnati back in the 70s. There was about two feet left of the privy, dug several small bottles and one paneled pontiled Wilke soda out of it. That was the only time I was ever in anything old enough to find pontils.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks guys I'm still smilin..... Ry I'm kinda glad this one isn't flared it probably woulda been broken. Thanks for letting me know what the label mighta looked like. Do you know what size they dug last week? I know the York book is kinda sketchy, but based on that my size isn't listed. Thanks to Zane and Ryan for getting this year off to a rockin' start, It might just be the best bottle year ever!

cobalt

brokenshovel

Reaction score
You are so lucky, I can't understand how a bottle would sit on the surface for 100+ years and not fill with water, freeze and crack.
Seems 1 April is your lucky day.

I went digging also but pretty much got skunked. One unmarked 6inch stoneware jar and a commons bitters. That's it from a hole that was a major producer
Congrats.

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Thanks man, I still can't believe it every time I make a surface find like that. Just think of all the snows, sun, wind, falling sticks, walnuts, critters, etc that thing must have seen! The mouth was even slightly uphill, go figure?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
The Miller bottles come in rolled, flared, and tapered lip treatments that I know of.
The tapered lip ones are always a bit taller because of the lip style.
A nice PA pontil bottle not commonly found.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson