Pontiled at last!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Trying not to break it

Reaction score
hi steve, great find, glad you found your 1st pontil bottle, i would be smiling ear to ear[:D]. hope you find a lot more there. take care, rhona

madman

Reaction score
hey steve great find wow congrats !!!!!!!! love it mike

Digger George

Reaction score
Dude wow nice find, now tear that slope up and tell us what else you find. A pretty pontil dump may await you.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Yes, I'd like to hear if you got more stuff there ! ( maybe it was such a gold mine that he's been out digging it ever since!) Tigue it was nice of you to resurface this thread, as it's the one year anniversary of his find today. It's a good story to read as I get ready to kick off my digging season. I've got pontils on the brain for sure now !

cobaltbot

Reaction score
Whew, what an incredible day that was, one I wish I could relive every day. Not that I’m not trying, believe me, just not in the right spot. I’d love to say the place WAS a goldmine, that I’m now living in the Bahamas, snorkeling for black glass mallets but the sad reality is that almost a year later (I have appropriately till April Fool’s Day) I’m still a one hit wonder, and except for the GENUINE ESSENSE bottle Charlie gave me, I haven’t gotten another pontil this year. Not that it’s been a bad year, on the contrary, many great discoveries and purchases of the non-pontiled variety. There was one pit of some sort I discovered there that had stove parts buried to about two feet and then turned into non-promising looking rocks. There was a bit of broken stuff but the only other whole bottles I’ve gotten from there was a nice black glass ale, some newer bromos and a Kemp’s Cough Balsam. Lucky find it sure turned out to be, and I met a guy at the Baltimore show from up our way who said he had gone over the place with a metal detector a few years before me and can’t recall seeing any whole bottles! Ironically, this past weekend the scouts camped out on my land and I hiked with them back through that valley up to the scout cabin. On the way back I stopped at one place and found a bunch of broken DAIRYMEN’S SUPPLY CO milks and then continuing to the very site. I looked through the rain rinsed shards and found the panel from a HOOFLAND’S GERMAN BITTERS. That night, totally beat from a weekend of non bottle digging activity, I had to smile seeing that Tigue had resurrected the post.

kastoo

Reaction score
Cool bottle! I think there's a creek bed in Silver Springs, NY where you can chip trilobytes from Rock. We field tripped there when I was in grade schol.

tigue710

Reaction score
dang, you just never know I guess.... I found a dump with a few meds right on the surface once, (nothing to good), but when I dug it it was all rocks... I did not find one whole bottle under the surface level... These dumps can be strange sometimes! That pontil makes it all worth it anyhow...

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tcarulli