Pontilled and other terms.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

The Bottleman

Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm new to the world of bottles so any info on the terms so many of you use would be extremely helpful. Like what is pontilled or an acl? Any and all info is helpful,
Thanks,​
Falcon​

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Pontil = old

ACL = new

..any other questions?

[;)]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
We got lots of terms. here is my contribution...
http://www.antiquemedicines.com/bottletypes/bottletypes.htm

ACL .. isnt that a ligament or tendon? Never seen it on a 19th century medicine bottle.

TJSJHART

Reaction score
ohhh very nice charles.... i 'm not sure what pontilled is either but,,,ACL applied colored label.. refers to painted labels on newer soda bottles[8|]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
...wha? I am simply inviting further dialogue.. whilst secretly stalling for time while I try to remember what post we put that link on of bottle terms... anyone remember?

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Well guys, I was really shocked when I read the post by the bottleman. I decided I would write to him with a PM. When I did I found out that he is a 16 year old young man.
So I wrote to him and asked him to read my homepage and then send me his address, so that I could send him a book or two and maybe even some of my partially written blogs on some other subjects.
In my PM I told him he was young enough to be my Great Grandson. I also told him that I would like to know more about what types of bottles he was most interested in.
I was so shocked I didn't even think of Bill Lindsey's SHA link.
But I have a collection of over a hundred links for information on the different subjects of collecting glass.
It is just great to realize that these younger guys are taking up a hobby that we have lived in for so many years.- 74 for me!!! RED Matthews

old.s.bottles

Reaction score
Yeah Im hooked on bottle hunting like its my job, (I'm 19) The pontil is a result of the "handle" the blower used to hold the glass untill he was finished and he would break it off. There are various types of pontils tho. my 2 cents

GuntherHess

Reaction score
technically speaking the "pontil" or punty is the iron rod they used to hold the bottle. The thing on the bottle would be called a pontil mark or scar.

jesster64

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: GuntherHess

technically speaking the "pontil" or punty is the iron rod they used to hold the bottle. The thing on the bottle would be called a pontil mark or scar.

tomatoe tomato, I just want to find one one of these days. Whats the usual digging ratio 500 ketchups to one pontil?

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mistymad28