Pontils and ACL's

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

youngpup

Reaction score
I'm new to soda collecting and was wondering if anyone could enlighten me in the difference between pontils and ACL's. Also...how do you identify the years in coke bottles?

Gunsmoke47

Reaction score
Hey Youngpup, ACL is short for Applied Colored Label. These were on sodas from the 1930's through the 1970's I believe. Some of the soda collectors can tell you for sure on the actual dates. A pontil is actually a scar that was caused on the base of bottles due to the way bottles were made at that time. Most pontil scarred bottles predate 1860. (This is U.S. bottles) There is open pontil, and iron pontil (also known as improved pontil). Open pontil scarred bottles have jagged glass in the center of the base of the bottle. Iron pontil scarred bottles are harder to identify as iron residue over a period of years, can be lost . I hope I haven't totally confused you and maybe some other members can aide in my description. There is about 100 years difference in a pontil scarred bottle and an ACL soda. Hope this helps, Kelley

PS. I can't help you with identifying coke bottles, but they're plenty here who can![;)]

youngpup

Reaction score
Thanks alot...that helps alot...I might post up some cokes and pepsi's tomorrow...gonna go dig a virgin dump i found...thanks again for all your help
~~Jesse~~

whiskeyman

Reaction score
YOUNGPUP...
here's a pic of bottle types used by Coca-Cola through the years...Hope you can make out the dates.
1st hobbleskirt was Patd Nov 16 1915
2nd was Dec 25, 1923
3rd has Pat D 105529
Next has Trade Mark Registered...think it was circa 1950s...(relying on memory here)...

Here's a link to a site that kind of explains the types and when City names were added, removed ,and then re-added...also covers (briefly) Flavor Bottles.

http://www2.coca-cola.com/heritage/collectorscolumns_bottles.html

Hf99019.jpg

Attachments

• Hf99019.jpg
    Hf99019.jpg
    42.1 KB · Views: 68

youngpup

Reaction score
I wasn't able to go to the dump yesterday[:(] It rained hard and soaked everything. Thanks for the site on cocacola whiskeyman. It helped a lot.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TDF.1973