Poor Digging ethics

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mainepontil

Reaction score
That is my forum, and yes my members said it. A private forum, where people can speak their minds, good or bad. What Moxie failed to mention was the fact that a digger from 'away" came in and destroyed a dump we have been quietly digging for 15 years. They travel 75 miles and come in huge groups leaving coffee cups and other trash behind. Now the place is destroyed and the neighbors are mad.

So yes, we are very upset and the conversation reflects it. Since I respect all the members here and have been a member for a while I figured you guys might as well here my side of things.

GIRLZGOTMOXIE, your quote is very ironic, that is advice you and your friends should heed.

As a representative of all bottle collectors and diggers, be thoughtful, considerate, and courteous at all times."

Joel

portland med. man

Reaction score
that place looked fairly good untill they came in and dug huge holes everywhere just to find the older stuff to profit off of most likley....most of the stuff in there is late 1890`s with a few throw backs , if they dug it orderly and not left all there n. conway nh. newspapers flying around ,with other trash i dont think the neighbors would of cared.....talking about ethics....what ethics , drive to a different state just to find bottles....... what couldnt find any in there own state??????? bet i could but i stick to my own turf and dig with respect unlike alot of newbies..just my two cents,

Michdigger

Reaction score
After reading this post I have to agree with Mainepontil and Portland med. man, because of the fact it was there dump and some diggers which must of been beginners, moved in from another state and tore the place up and left the place a mess and messed up any further diggin for the guys who found the spot!!! That just shows how inexperienced the trespassers are and messed it up for the experienced ones that dug for years and filled their holes back again so the could return time after time..What a shame [:mad:]

dumpmonkey

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Mainepontil

That is my forum, and yes my members said it. A private forum, where people can speak their minds, good or bad. What Moxie failed to mention was the fact that a digger from 'away" came in and destroyed a dump we have been quietly digging for 15 years. They travel 75 miles and come in huge groups leaving coffee cups and other trash behind. Now the place is destroyed and the neighbors are mad.

So yes, we are very upset and the conversation reflects it. Since I respect all the members here and have been a member for a while I figured you guys might as well here my side of things.

GIRLZGOTMOXIE, your quote is very ironic, that is advice you and your friends should heed.

As a representative of all bottle collectors and diggers, be thoughtful, considerate, and courteous at all times."

Joel

WELL PUT JOEL!!!!!!!!!!! THANKS FOR SETTING THIS THREAD STRAIGHT![:D]

poisonsrit

Reaction score
i have been in that dump digging and there was more than just people from conway.i saw a group of guys from pennsilvania that said they were told about the dump on a bottle site.and they sunk a huge hole and mounded everything up instead of raking it flat.they left trash, cans etc. there was a big group from southern new hampshire that was there too leaving trash and big holes not filled in.and as far as the group from conway there was no group it was just two people not an army get the facts straight.NOT ONLY THAT THERE WERE LOCAL DIGGERS IN THERE ALMOST EVERY DAY.DIGGING HUGE HOLES AND PILES SO IT WAS NOT JUST ONE GROUP OF PEOPLE IT WAS EVERYONE.i have lived in maine all my life and just moved to new hampshire so what im not supossed to dig in a state that i grew up in? i cant go to saco and visit my friends and go digging with them?when they can look at the dump from there bedroom window.THIS WHOLE THING HAS GOTTEN OUT OF HAND,WHEN YOU HAVE PEOPLE THAT THREATEN OTHERS WITH VIOLENCE FOR DIGGING BOTTLES.I DO NOT FOLLOW PEOPLE AROUND TO SEE WHERE THEY ARE DIGGING I HAVE MORE IMPORTANT THINGS TO DO THAN THAT I CAN FIND MY OWN DUMPS.I AM NOT SAYING THAT THE PLACE DID NOT GET TRASHED BUT IT WAS NOT JUST A FEW GUYS,SO WHY TAKE IT OUT ON A COUPLE GUYS WHEN IT WAS ABOUT 50 OR MORE!!!even people that lived local.so there is my 1 cent worth not that it matters any thanks for letting me ramble hope you all have a great year DONT KNOW IF IM GOING TO DIG OR NOT THIS WHOLE MESS HAS SPOILED IT FOR ME ITS STUPID!!!!!MAYBE THEY SHOULD JUST SHUT THE PLACE DOWN THAT WILL SOLVE THAT PROBLEM

13C6C118D2D3457689632F3BE0EA2F6E.jpg

Attachments

• 13C6C118D2D3457689632F3BE0EA2F6E.jpg
    13C6C118D2D3457689632F3BE0EA2F6E.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 84

girlzgotmoxie

Reaction score
Well Gentleman
I assumed that this would ruffle a few feathers, but this is rediculas.
Mainepontil, portland med. man, michdigger, dumpmonkey, and whomever else decides they would like to retaliate in comment:
My two friends I dig with and myself are among a small group of five people who have been digging in there, and at one time we all lived in Maine, two out of the five still do, and we have very good friends from the surrounding area of the site who were digging with an old timer in there back in the 1970's, who now lives in Greenville, Maine, and that is how we were introduced to the collecting site.
The first time I went collecting in there a group of other diggers, whom I shall not mention, came in and were leaving their refuse around as well( empty beer containers, cigarette packs, ect.) digging rather large holes and sawing tree roots, so I'll take blame for a couple of coffee cups and a soda bottle or two, but our " huge group" are ALL non smokers and drinkers, and none of us can lay claim to vast array of Arizona Ice Tea cans and bottles left behind either. The fact also remains it is a city landfill, and compared to the abandoned tires, matresses, carpet remnants, and snow mobile bones, a few papers and cups seem insignificant.
We do travel to the site, but how is it any different than some of you traveling from New Glouster, Gorham, or even Manchester NH to collect? Are we specifically targeted because of that? The fact still remains that slanderizing and threat of physical violence is inappropriate behavior.
As Far as the neighbors are concerned, a gentleman by the name of Paul who's property abutts the dump has been very friendly with us and has taken the time to talk about the history of that particular area, and even will allow us to probe his back yard, there's another neighbor who lives down a little ways who collects at the site himself, and is just as guilty as I am about leaving trash about. Our good friends who live a block away from the site, while collecting in there have seen people from as far away from New Jersey, and I can attest we certainly do not know ANYONE from New Jersey, among other folks from NH and all over Maine. We three are not the only folk in there, and are certainly not new to collecting,unless 20+ years is new, nor are we profiting off what we've collected. The best pieces are sitting on my mantel above my fire place, and there I intend for them to stay. However if I decide different, who's business is it really anyway?

My intent was not to stir the proverbial pot, but to make all collectors and diggers aware that if this sort of nonscence is happening to me, then it could happen to any one of you as well.

So although I will appoligize for our actions, I feel I should not have to, for it was not just our group involved in this particular activity.
I would like to put this to rest Sir, and expect the same sort of mature respect from yourselves.
Johannah (moxie)

CALDIGR2

Reaction score
The results of the original posting only serve to reinforce secrecy when diggin' a favorite spot. Why announce it on the internet, of all things? "Spilling your beans" on the net will only result in exactly what took place at this dump site. What else could you expect?

I have been a serious digger for nearly fifty years and have learned my lesson, although it took several of these sort of incidents to finally make me understand that not all diggers are created equal. Unfortunately, there are many "vultures" among us, those whose sole intent is to score some cash for whatever reason, not to collect what they find. I have the local ones dialed in and they are most certainly NOT welcome at any site that I, and my diggin' partners, have discovered.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tasha85