possible condiment wide mouth Owens bottle and narrow mouth ghost seam bottle.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Cards77

Reaction score
I found this bottle at an old desert camp near a water development. It's a wide mouth bottle that still have the aluminum lid with cardboard insert. It has the Owens mark on the bottom, the bottom is stippled. I'm interested in an approximate date and possible contents. Using the sha.org website I think I've got it to around the 40's. The marks on the bottom are VERY strange other than the Owens symbol.

On the left side of the Owens symbol is a "28". The number on the right side is not legible due to manufacturing but it may be a "6".

Above the symbol is the words "PNDG" and actually 2 suction marks are plainly visible behind this lettering

above that on the bottom rim is the letters "RES PAT" or "DES PAT" or possibly "QES PAT". R seems to make sense to me.

On the bottom of rim bottom is the numbers "3522-G 8"

The narrow mouth bottle appears to be beverage bottle though it has a screw on lid rather than a cap. Two side seams are plainly visible going up to the lip though it has more than one ghost seam which are VERY apparent. It also has some very small bubbles near the shoulder and the glass is overall wavy looking like low quality or old. It has stippling on the bottom rim and a series on circles on the bottom. There is no suction scar. On the bottom center the mark appears to be 11 with a - above it (see photo). On the heel it also has the letter B or P then either a zero or some kind of circular symbol, then the numbers 86, then S3.

Thanks for any help. Pictures can be viewed here: http://s1099.photobucket.com/albums/g400/wats6831/

carobran

Reaction score
that title sure is a mouthfull!..[8|][8D][8D]

surfaceone

Reaction score
P1030649.jpg

P1030648.jpg

P1030647.jpg

P1030646.jpg

Hello Cards,

Welcome to the A-BN and thanks for bringing the bottles.

above that on the bottom rim is the letters "RES PAT" or "DES PAT" or possibly "QES PAT". R seems to make sense to me.

I believe that you will find that to be "Des. Pat." for Design Patent. The wide mouthed guy is a product canning jar by it's look.

I'm not sure that you're reading the numbers correctly. Here's an Article on Dating Owens-Illinois Glass. I do not see a plant code 28.

On the left side of the Owens symbol is a "28". The number on the right side is not legible due to manufacturing but it may be a "6".

I'd be guessing that this right hand number would indicate 1946 as the date...

IinOmarkclose.jpg

Cards77

Reaction score
Thanks for the info. I had seen that article and had read it. I had the date part I think pretty figured out. I also came to the same conclusion as you, there is no "28" plant but for the life of me that's sure what it looks like to me. But you're right it's probably 26 for the Indiana plant.

Do you have any information as to what kinds of things were put in these jars? Were they home canned or factory canned? Also, any thoughts on the other bottle? I know there isn't much information. Thanks again for your time.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75