Prehistoric artifacts...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JGUIS

Reaction score
An archaeologist I showed told me that it, and the base of the black one, were early Adena. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 6-10,000 yrs. old. He has earlier pieces that he found while unearthing a settlement. He found pieces buried under cornerpost that were made exactly the same, but 4" long and VERY thin. In the same hole, he found some food ashes. He sent them off to be tested, and the carbon dating put them at (I forget the exact number)700-800 B.C. The only thing is, it's a fort, why a defensive hilltop fort in 800B.C. in Perry county Ohio? The points I'm talking about are in an Ohio book, guys name is James Dutcher. There were over 100 mounds in this county before the artifact boom in the 1800s, many were taken with coal, others tilled under over the last 200 years of farming. Artifacts around here are pretty plentiful if you know the right farmers, and dont mind pacing over hundreds of acres twice a year. Most of the time the same fields will yield points thousands of years apart, and they are still good hunting grounds today. Thw white point valued at 7-800, but I'd never sell it.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Here's a closeup.

Lj23287.gif

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Lj23287.gif
    Lj23287.gif
    65 KB · Views: 76

capsoda

Reaction score
Hey Josh, The fort may have been built much later and on top of the Indian ruins.

Man has been building on the same defensive high ground over and over for thousands of years.

Just my guess.

GlassKeeper

Reaction score
NORG, Justglass didn't get his hands on this Otter creek spear point, but he did get to see me pick it up. Sorry justglass, but you do have a lot more heads.
Jim

Bz78479.jpg

Attachments

• Bz78479.jpg
    Bz78479.jpg
    30.1 KB · Views: 74

JGUIS

Reaction score
The fort was actually before the settlement, there are also a few mounds and effigies within a mile of it. One of the things that proved it was invasive burials in the mounds, and the layers of the fort. The fort itself is 27 acres enclosed, and can actually be seen on satellite images. It's shaped like Africa kinda. The only slight possibility so far is of the giants of North America. The black beards and the red beards supposedly warred against each other for years, and it apparently came to a head in the Ohio valley somewhere. Stories from some native tribes about this battle say that the black beards lived around Ohio and the reds further west. The reds attacked at one point and either drove the blacks away, or wiped them out. None of the natives claim relation to these giants, but Cherokees spoke of a few of them staying in their village for a few days, and helping with work and such. Skeletons have been found almost in a line from Canada to Georgia, some of them being 8-9' tall. Most of the area close to the fort is forest, some of it is silica quarries(they tried to level one of the largest mounds in Ohio, but we wouldn't let them), and most of the skirting land is farmed. I think I have figured one thing out though, if it's a good hunting area now, it probably was back then too. I always find more pieces in areas with more wildlife. What would natives need with a defensive structure that could have taken years to complete? Looking at history, whites say that savage animals didn't posses the domestication it took to be a fufilling society. That was our excuse for taking their land, but this was created thousands of years before we thought of crossing the ocean. That's one thing that bugs me, people pay thousands of dollars to go hundreds of miles to dig up other countries and figure out how life was back then, but there's so much here that can't be explained because studies stopped so long ago to make room for development.

capsoda

Reaction score
Sounds almost like they had some Viking visiters. Where can I find more info on the fort and gaints. I have heard of the log stackers that were supposed to be gaints.

As far as studing instead of developing, money rules their sorry minds.

JGUIS

Reaction score
Check this out for the giants. I'll tell you now that it's alot of reading, but if your interest gets you through the first few paragraphs, you'll want to finish it. As far as the fort goes, there is very little published on it. Martzolffs history of Perry county has about the best description of it here in the prehistoric race section,but the most recent research is being done privately and nothing has been released. The historical scociety declined buying it, I think because of accessibility.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
angieb1229