Prehistoric artifacts...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JustGlass

Reaction score
This I was told could have been used to strecth hides as they would wrap hide strips around the rock and pull hides tight. Saved punishment on the hands. I wouldnt be surprized if it was a hammer head mounted on a handle, but my friend says the grooves dont look right fot that. Yours looks to be a dual purpose tool. Probably a hammer head that was used later to sharpen or do edge work on smaller artifacts.

Pn35821.jpg

Road Dog

Reaction score
Many tools, blades, axes etc. were used for many purposes even if the original making was for a single purpose. How many of us has used a butter knife as a screwdriver? They were no different.

walkingstick

Reaction score
I use a certain tool in my box for reasons other than what it was intended to be used for ... the Hammer wrench, or wrench hammer. I reckon if we do it today, is it any wonder that it was done throughout the ages.

GlassKeeper

Reaction score
amblypygi, What you found in the Connecticut River is a called a sinewstone, according to the book "Archaeology of New York State. It's described as a soft, abrasive stone against which a length of sinew is drawn back and forth, thinning the sinew and making it more uniform. The sinew was used for bow strings or for lashing or tying objects. Over time, deep grooves are worn into the stone from repeated use. Hope this helps. Nice find! I've been looking for one and haven't come across one yet.

Jim

NORG

Reaction score
Nice finds guys. I agree that the objects are sinewstones.

-Here's a corner of a Dorset soapstone lamp (has some carbon on it too, from the burned seal fat) that my father found on the weekend.

NORG

Reaction score
Here's some more stuff my father found this weekend.

ehkahk

Reaction score
some I found, I can't find the rest of the pics.

1.jpg

1.jpg

9.jpg

11.jpg

5.jpg

Road Dog

Reaction score
Nice finds guys! Here is a small corner notch I found last week while taking the dog for a walk.

Wu59476.gif

Picture reduced in size - please see Help - Using the Forum ---> Uploading a Picture - Admin

Attachments

• Wu59476.gif
    Wu59476.gif
    116.6 KB · Views: 61

JustGlass

Reaction score
Here is a pendant that my dad found on a lake shore indian site. I was searching the rocky shore on my hands and knees, when my dad walked up to me and said would you like this. My heart raced as he opened his hand and showed me this small red pendant, and then my heart stopped as he handed it to my young son who was a step behind me. Oh well... I found half a pendant.

Wt58951.jpg

Attachments

• Wt58951.jpg
    Wt58951.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 65

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GeorginaAc