Primitive tool -anchor - weight? any ideas?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

stumpknocker

Reaction score
This is the first time I have ever seen anything like this. Thanks to all for sharing.

downeastdigger

Reaction score
Crawling through the mud and briars of Eliot Maine
Thank you all for the responses. The more I read your posts, and read info about Killick anchors online, the more I am growing to really like this thing! :] valuable or not

Rick, age wise, from what I can tell, they go back to Vicking times, but were used in Newfoundland late 1700s to early 1900s. The construction of this, and the building it was found next to (in the river next to it) suggests is it early or mid 1800s. i am amazed the wood held up as well as it did too, but hard wood tends to do ok in compact mud, in fresh water, so that may be the case here.

Thanks again for the responses, really makes the hobby even more fun for me

RED Matthews

Reaction score
WOW. I really get fired up with threads of interesting subjects like this. Thanks to all of you.
Well guys, I have a lot of old anchors and old boats, but nothing like what is in this thread. Thanks for making me think about mine. I have a Model T inboard with a water cooled manifold on it that has the man’s name that built the boat. “Barnes†on the manifold with about 3-4†letter heights. It has a roof, wicker seats, and an external rear aluminum rudder. The wheel is a master piece of inlayed wood work. I am always intrigued by things that show earlier man’s creative intellect. RED Matthews

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
I have a Model T inboard with a water cooled manifold on it that has the man’s name that built the boat. “Barnes†on the manifold with about 3-4†letter heights. It has a roof, wicker seats, and an external rear aluminum rudder. The wheel is a master piece of inlayed wood work. I am always intrigued by things that show earlier man’s creative intellect. RED

I'd love to see that boat too Red...

RedGinger

Reaction score
Fascinating find, Bram. I really like learning about something new, or old as the case may be [:D].

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: downeastdigger

Thank you all for the responses. The more I read your posts, and read info about Killick anchors online, the more I am growing to really like this thing! :] valuable or not

Rick, age wise, from what I can tell, they go back to Vicking times, but were used in Newfoundland late 1700s to early 1900s. The construction of this, and the building it was found next to (in the river next to it) suggests is it early or mid 1800s. i am amazed the wood held up as well as it did too, but hard wood tends to do ok in compact mud, in fresh water, so that may be the case here.

Thanks again for the responses, really makes the hobby even more fun for me

I wonder is the wood used to make that thing is cypress ? Cypress lasts forever in water. I have dug a few privy's lined with the stuff,it was all intact.

tftfan

Reaction score
Cool find. The water sure hides some nice stuff.

blade

Reaction score
I think this might be a picture of the boat that red is talking about.

blade

Reaction score

1B98EFA59EDF4EECBC2B38A87D739A45.jpg

Attachments

• 1B98EFA59EDF4EECBC2B38A87D739A45.jpg
    1B98EFA59EDF4EECBC2B38A87D739A45.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 48

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads