Privy Diggers: a question

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mf150

Reaction score
Is there any threat to health when one digs through decomposed shit? I think a lot of the bacteria in the dirt (and organisms) would break anything that is harmful down over the years. Just thought I'd ask b/c a lot of the diseases that afflicted humans back then were not eradicated by modern medicines (e.g. parasites). When I see handfuls of seeds in the "use layer," I can't help by wonder.

Thanks

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:eek:][:-][8|][&:][:(][>:] CRAP!!! that is what has been wrong with me all this time, and I thought all along it was not diggin a bright green Phoenix whiskey flask. Durnit!!!. No all kiddin aside I have been in the holes too many times and have not gotten sick, sometimes ya have to wear a dust mask, but thats because its dusty and ya dont wanta breathe that shi- cus that would be like smokin it would eventually kill ya or cause emphasema. If ya are diggin in a 1860s or even an 1890s hole all the bad shit is pretty much gone away, except for the afore mentioned dust, it dont even smell bad.......even smells GOOD!!!

mf150

Reaction score
LOL! Thanks for the response. I was more concerned about the potential for the transfer of parasites, etc. A lot of worm eggs can stay dormant for many years (think dog poop). i see you guys holding hands full of seeds, which have survived the long haul.
Thanks for the confirmation that things are pretty much cleaned by the bacteria and organisms in the ground.
Those glass gems are worth the risk, and I would dig through someone's poop given the chance! :p

ORIGINAL: andy volkerts

[:eek:][:-][8|][&:][:(][>:] CRAP!!! that is what has been wrong with me all this time, and I thought all along it was not diggin a bright green Phoenix whiskey flask. Durnit!!!. No all kiddin aside I have been in the holes too many times and have not gotten sick, sometimes ya have to wear a dust mask, but thats because its dusty and ya dont wanta breathe that shi- cus that would be like smokin it would eventually kill ya or cause emphasema. If ya are diggin in a 1860s or even an 1890s hole all the bad shit is pretty much gone away, except for the afore mentioned dust, it dont even smell bad.......even smells GOOD!!!

mf150

Reaction score
I just started collecting bottles. Mostly from ebay :(
I've already networked with a collector/dealer in Redwood City, and one in SF. Also sent a soda to Lou Lambert to have him do his magic.
I love SF sodas, and whiskeys. I also like a good utility jar or bottle. Most of the bottles I have aquired are from the 1960-70 SF bottle digs. :)

Best,
Matt

[:)] Hey Mat! I notice ya are from San Francisco, How long have ya been collecting bottles??.....Andy

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I get most of mine from e-bay now too. I am a bit long in the tooth so to speak, but have been known to get inna hole and dig a few, just last year found a shallow 1870s pit here inna Delta and gotta nice Phoenix amber flask. the water level here is so high that the privies werent too deep, but most of em have been found already, just got luckylast year. But got to dig the crap outta old sakamenny in the late 60s and 70s when they were doin I-5 thru town.........

mf150

Reaction score
I have zero digging experience. We vacation in the Sierras, and I've thought about doing some digging while on vacation, but I wouldn't know what to do or where to look. I know I'd need a probe at least. I missed the 1970s SF digs b/c I wasn't born yet! I really missed out. There are very few places in SF to dig now. The spots are either too new or cemented over or on private property. Obviously I don't want to do anything illegal.

Despite not being able to dig, I've aquired some nice sodas--cost an arm and a leg, but I can't get enough or the crude goodness! I prefer my bottles uncleaned and with ground marks ;)

I have a nice Boley from "sakamenny."

I get most of mine from e-bay now too. I am a bit long in the tooth so to speak, but have been known to get inna hole and dig a few, just last year found a shallow 1870s pit here inna Delta and gotta nice Phoenix amber flask. the water level here is so high that the privies werent too deep, but most of em have been found already, just got luckylast year. But got to dig the crap outta old sakamenny in the late 60s and 70s when they were doin I-5 thru town.........

andy volkerts

Reaction score
[:)] You can get a good 6 foot probe from Lou, and they are the best!!! and he is good with the cleaner, I clean but I am not nearly as experienced as lou. I will p.M. ya about where and how to dig inna Sierras if ya want....Andy

mf150

Reaction score
Sounds good. If you have time that would be much appreciated!
We usually stay off highway 70 towards Quincy. But we made a trip out toward Bodie last summer.

[:)] You can get a good 6 foot probe from Lou, and they are the best!!! and he is good with the cleaner, I clean but I am not nearly as experienced as lou. I will p.M. ya about where and how to dig inna Sierras if ya want....Andy

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4