Privy Diggin Tripod?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

swizzle

Reaction score
Thanx Jim, I think I can figure something out now. Just need some cash and Lowes or Home Depot. Swiz

bottle_head9

Reaction score
ya know what swiz, start digging it and you`ll find out what best suits YOU.If its a 5 footer, you obviously won`t need a tri-pod or any other help.If it`s a 20 footer like the MD, PA, and NJ guys dig, than you`ll need some back-up.Just get out there and dig like so many of us on here DON~T do....[;)]

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: swizzle

Thanx Jim, I think I can figure something out now. Just need some cash and Lowes or Home Depot. Swiz
See if you can rent a set or find a cheap set from a local mason who might have something that's "banged up" for cheap...[;)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: bottle_head9

ya know what swiz, start digging it and you`ll find out what best suits YOU.If its a 5 footer, you obviously won`t need a tri-pod or any other help.If it`s a 20 footer like the MD, PA, and NJ guys dig, than you`ll need some back-up.Just get out there and dig like so many of us on here DON~T do....[;)]

You said it. Don't turn this into a 20 page "how do I dig a privy" like that last guy. He did find and dig a privy though. After he got off ABN and went out in to the real world [8D]

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
once the hole gets above my head I start getting a strange feeling that I am digging my own grave...

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I've never dug a privy deeper than 10 feet... It was a stretch but we did that without even buckets. Don't know how. Tom's dug a thousand privies with no tripod, but I think we should get one! Don't know where or how, so I will be watching this thread intently... Looking forward to your dig, swiz, there's nothing as exciting as your first privy! It's one thing to read about and watch videos of privy digging, but it's entirely another to be 6 feet in a hole with bottles popping out one after another.

baltbottles

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

I've never dug a privy deeper than 10 feet... It was a stretch but we did that without even buckets. Don't know how. Tom's dug a thousand privies with no tripod, but I think we should get one! Don't know where or how, so I will be watching this thread intently... Looking forward to your dig, swiz, there's nothing as exciting as your first privy! It's one thing to read about and watch videos of privy digging, but it's entirely another to be 6 feet in a hole with bottles popping out one after another.

Don't forget that feeling when after digging through 27 feet of clay you find the bottom clean as a whistle. Then as you stare at the huge pile of dirt you have to put back. Then finally finish getting the pit filled in at 3am. But at least you don't have to take any time to split up all those pesky bottles that weren't in the hole. And you can get right on the road for the 2 hour drive back home...... on the bright side there isn't much traffic at 3am.....

Chris

AntiqueMeds

Reaction score
anyone ever use an electric winch on thier truck bumper to pull up buckets? (assuming the hole isnt in a tight backyard lot)

Wheelah23

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: baltbottles

ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Don't forget that feeling when after digging through 27 feet of clay you find the bottom clean as a whistle. Then as you stare at the huge pile of dirt you have to put back. Then finally finish getting the pit filled in at 3am. But at least you don't have to take any time to split up all those pesky bottles that weren't in the hole. And you can get right on the road for the 2 hour drive back home...... on the bright side there isn't much traffic at 3am.....

Chris

I got lucky I guess... [8D]

Penn Digger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: mr.fred

ORIGINAL: Penn Digger

I too would like some info on a cheap tripod system, but think you must at least have an accomplice for a successful tripod system to work. Who will empty the buckets? These chopped up aluminum ladder systems must have a better way?

PD
And whats wrong with my tripod![8|]

Nothing wrong with it other that it is a little wobbley and thus may require a third person at all times, which we usually have. I think we need to switch next time to the guy in the whole pulls the rope rather than a guy up top pulling the rope on an angle or leaning towards the hole for a back breaking straighter pull. The guy on the bottom pulling seems like it may be more efficient plus he would be lifting out his own tail dirt. Didn't mean to offend Mr. Fred.

PD

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2