Privy digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Just curious, after reading many threads on the subject, how in the heck could you possibly locate where a privy used to be? If anyone is a "pro" (which it seems like there a few ace members for sure[:D]) and can offer some advice or pointers I would appreciate it! I have about four old sites lined up that I have permission to dig on this summer (who am I kidding as soon as the snow is gone I'm there) that date back far enough but I don't know where to begin looking. Thanks again!

Bottleman

Reaction score
Hello, it’s sometimes easier said than done to just find a privy in a yard! You will have to start off by making or buying a spring steel probe. They are 3, 4, 5, or 6 foot long spring steel rods with a handle on the top that look like a big T. They have to be made of spring steel so they won’t bend. You simply probe around in the yard until the probe sinks down pretty easily. It will go down more easy over the privy because of the loose ash and “poop†in it rather than the clay and rocks in the rest of the yard. They are usually set in the back of the yards and usually in the corners. You can also look for an indent in the yard where it is sinking down in too. Lots of times they were “capped†with rocks and clay so you have to try to get you probe down as far as you can in each spot before giving up and going to another. I could be here all day giving to advice on how to find a privy but with experience you will get a lot better at it and find out what woks best for you. My best suggestion would be to hook up with some other local diggers and have them show you the ropes you first few times. I think that’s how most of us stared out here.

Hope this helped, Tom (Bottleman12)

oldshoe4u

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Tom. I have another guy I dig with but he has had no luck with privies iether. I did put a post for anyone else in Syracuse NY area to join so maybe we'll hook up with a local pro[;)]. Thanks again

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1