Privy Digging

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

jkaese

Reaction score
Hello everyone my name is jason, I recently bought a house that was built in 1835 I have about a acre of property and I am interested in finding the privy to the house. My father is a huge bottle collector which sparked the intrest in finding this privy. Would there be one on the property?? How do I even start looking for it, I have a part of my lawn that we rototilled which was a garden that the previous owner used and noticed glass, cork top peices, old pullys etc etc. I did notice a section of ash and discolored dirt, any though input let me know. We also have a old well on the property too which still has water in it and a sistern on the porch.

twowheelfan

Reaction score
search this site and you will find a lot of info. this topic has been covered extensively. where are you located? sometimes if the house is in the country they used an out house that had a bucket underneath the bench that they just pulled out throught a door in the back and dumped. other times they dug pits and just kept moving the outhouse everytime the pit was full.
im sure there are plenty of people here that would be happy to help you find it. the best way to figure out how is to watch and and dig with someone who has experience. it sounds exciting! keep us posted!

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Hi Jason,
Welcome to the forum! I just wanted to say on a side note that if you hit ash, then you should definitely dig! It may not be the privy, but if it's a dump, then you'll have a good chance of finding a bunch of bottles. I'd definitely start there!

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Barbudagirl