Privy's, wells, trash pits

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Nawakwa

Reaction score
I hate to sound dumb but just how do you know whether or not to dig a depression? If you do dig how far down do you go before you know it's a waste of time and energy? I only have experience with surface dumps, which is pretty good. Depending on the terrain I can feel the change of the surface through my boots and know where the likely spots should be.

But back to my question, I know where two depressions are that are not natural. One is about four foot deep and retains traces of wood planks, the house was razed twenty years ago at least. There is no lining wood or other wise. The second spot is more square 3 foot X 4 foot I guess, within a few hundred yards I hve found handmade red brick. But more interesting than this is I scout an area out that showed a house on an 1861 map and named the family living there. I found the stone foundation outline, very unusual [stone] for our area. Haven't found but one depression within walking distance but I did find shards on the surface not far from the depression that would easily date 1850's. Where they are is no sign of a surface dump or depression. What can y'all offer to help?

Nawakwa

Reaction score
Four feet deep on the first pit and 0, hit virgin soil.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday