Probes

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Olrik

Reaction score
What is the best way to build a probe and please explain on the use of them for me a rookie. I have read some post and would like to get one and also i am short so want one a guy at 5 foot tall can use. Thanks in advance

WonGan

Reaction score
RICKJJ59W has an excellent video on using a probe.Shallow spots about 50 feet behind a house,sometimes along the property line,can be a clue,also rosebushes and other plants that may still exist can be a clue to where to look.Sanborns fire insurance maps of the area will show a little box with an x in it on the back lawn,(a privy),if that property was recorded by them back then.They want you to pay for the maps,but you may be able to find them through your library for free.Dont forget about the elderly in the area.They are some of the best of resources available because they may know of places that were not mapped or no longer exist.I once found out about a settlement that never got put down on any map I have seen.I learned from an elderly gent that it was in existence during the logging days when this area was first "opened up".

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Maps can be helpful, but usually not for privy digging. I've never seen a privy marked on a map, at least in my area. It may depend on where you live, though.

I'd try to meet up with an experienced privy digger and try to have them show you the ropes. They can find the privy, then you feel the privy with the probe, and also feel outside to find what's not a privy. No matter how much you read about privy probing, you're not going to learn once you've done it. Trust me, I'd know! Nothing can prepare you for the sore arms you get after your first probing session... [:'(]

One thing I must emphasize is to make sure the probe you get is the right height for you. Mine is a little too tall for me, so it's awkward to use. I'm 5'4" or so, and mine is a little over 5' (and too big), so get one a few inches shorter than that.

cadburys

Reaction score
You might not like the size of a 5 ft probe but you run the risk of missing many pits if you go shorter. I have a 5 and 8 footer I carry on my van.

Ant

Olrik

Reaction score
Ok i get yeahs now and i would like a bigger probe but I am in a car and well can not always carry a bigger one. Thanks for all the help i am hitting the scrap yard this weekend to loot for parts now. and thanks for the help

Now just to find local diggers

appliedlips

Reaction score
I am 5'5 and have probes of all lengths up to 10 ft., but find 99% of my privies with a 4 footer. I use a seven most regularly after that, and after Ive located the pit.

WonGan

Reaction score
Someone here used to sell probes and I think he even had a break down model that screwed together for easy transport.Ive heard the spring steel from the trunk of an old Buick or like car can be made into a nice probe.

If anyone has seen the Sanborn maps,there is a Key to the various symbols they use.There is one on there for privys like I said,but sometimes small towns didnt even get put into their maps.I have maps from the late 1800`s and early 1900`s of Millinocket Maine that show it.I doubt if any other map outside of Sanborns fire insurance maps would show privys or the material the buildings were made of or what kind of heating system was used for example.

Like Wheelah said,there is no substitute for going with another digger and doing it hands on.Many tips and tricks are learned from those who have done it before.Besides,it is not wise to dig very deep without someone else to help in case of a cave in or other emergency.Even a cut from broken glass or a rusty can might start infection when you are digging in 100 year old excrement.Good luck,wear gloves and be careful.

maxbitters

Reaction score
If your only using a four footer your missing a lot of holes. A four and at least an eight make a good combination. We sell quality spring steel probes delivered right to your doorstep anywhere in the U.S. We use only the finest new materials available to build you a superior tool. Available in lengths up to twenty feet at: http://www.oldwestbottles.com/Cool_Tools.php [/align]

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jonnymanty