promising signs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

farmerdan

Reaction score
Did a little exploring today at an old abandoned house. First I took a scratcher into the crawlspace for a few minutes and came up with these pontiled bases [:)] and some big pieces of flow blue china. So I grabbed my four foot probe outta the truck and started pokin around out the back. Forty feet or so behind the original back door, I hit a spot where the four footer went in nice and easy the first three feet and then the last foot dropped right in to the handle....."THUMP" ! I angle probed for a liner and didn't hit one, but from what I'm told most of the privies around here were woodies, and shallow. I did poke into some scattered bricks, some of them a couple feet down. The surrounding soil was our typical stony sand, and pretty uniform. Sound about right guys? If it turns out to be a privy, it will be my first one! Hope if it is its not an "A.B.D." No time to dig it today, but I'll be back.......

CEE040BA16844D7981B2D260791A1A9A.jpg

Attachments

• CEE040BA16844D7981B2D260791A1A9A.jpg
    CEE040BA16844D7981B2D260791A1A9A.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 31

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Hey Farmerdan,
I'd be excited. I might even try digging down more in the crawlspace (if possible). Good luck on the digs.

farmerdan

Reaction score
I am excited! those shards are the first pontiled ANYTHING I have ever found. And yes - the crawlspace.......Indoor digging is a totally new concept for me. The cool thing is you can dig in the rain - at night even! Just bring a backup flashlight and plenty o' batteries....Its only about 20 inches, so its a belly crawler. The structure is very sound, so I don't feel like I have to worry about the place collapsing on me or anything.....I will keep you all posted!

Farmerdan

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1