Psychology of collecting

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SKS.TUSC

Reaction score
I love glass, do you like glass? I have always wondered what makes us so drawn to bottle collecting. Past the primitive oooh...shiny aspect of it's lure. I thought this was interesting on the psychology of collecting. Am I collecting or hoarding? A little of both I guess. Oh well. What do you think about being psycho-analyzed. What's your diagnosis? Lol!
ROBBYBOBBY64.
Awesome topic to bring up. Me, I look at he throw away society & I guess I resent the younger generations that have no appreciation for old, well made, craftsmanship, made in America, dedication & the passion the glass blower had in his/her work. Plastic is kinda disgusting, mass polluted & a machine can bust out Billions a day. I love the heritage, the legacies, the nostalgic & going going baCk in history feeling you get when finding a bottle. It's like finding an arrow head, an old marble, or when that old cartoon u use to watch when u was a kid on Saturday mornings. Me, Transformers :) I think a lot of us need history in our lives. Bringing us back to when things were made to last, not thrown away. Even though we may find these items in a dump, a lot could still be used again when found if needed. A lot of people like the art & others need hobbies & bottle hunting, digging/exploring to find the Unknown. That enthusiasm & adrenaline fills a void of many sorts for many people. Me, I quit drinking and the hobbies to fill my time has filled my time off

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Well said! Few items are made with pride anymore. Fast build, cheap materials and big profits. Plastics fit like a glove. What a mistake that was. You see what rubber tires are doing to salmon. I can't imagine what plastics breaking down in the environment will do. I thought this was a great subject. Thanks for the reply, your thought and story.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Hey, that hat has character and were at an age where who cares what other people think.
You should see me when I go bass fishing, I scare my fellow fishermen to the point where they stay the heck away from me.
I also carry a 9mm gun with me, hey its Florida and I am not fond of alligators who seem to like me.
opmustard
Pythons too!
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Wildcat wrangler

Reaction score
Hey, that hat has character and were at an age where who cares what other people think.
You should see me when I go bass fishing, I scare my fellow fishermen to the point where they stay the heck away from me.
I also carry a 9mm gun with me, hey its Florida and I am not fond of alligators who seem to like me.
opmustard

Bass fishing and a 9…. Your speaking MY language! It’s been good this year- because the fish are so close together, I think…. They are suicidal and just jump in the boat! We didn’t keep any of those bad boys, but our friend likes to go out ther with us and always limits. We just got new downriggers and don’t know what we are doing yet, but there are land locked salmon and sturgeon in that puddle which was a lake.
d3c3582ca05b60e3b5706c9d7a166c1f.jpg

That’s just sad! I’m glad we didn’t buy that cabin across and up on the left in the trees, last year. Lake access only- would be 1 hell of a treck, carrying everything!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Mailman1960

Reaction score
Awesome topic to bring up. Me, I look at he throw away society & I guess I resent the younger generations that have no appreciation for old, well made, craftsmanship, made in America, dedication & the passion the glass blower had in his/her work. Plastic is kinda disgusting, mass polluted & a machine can bust out Billions a day. I love the heritage, the legacies, the nostalgic & going going baCk in history feeling you get when finding a bottle. It's like finding an arrow head, an old marble, or when that old cartoon u use to watch when u was a kid on Saturday mornings. Me, Transformers :) I think a lot of us need history in our lives. Bringing us back to when things were made to last, not thrown away. Even though we may find these items in a dump, a lot could still be used again when found if needed. A lot of people like the art & others need hobbies & bottle hunting, digging/exploring to find the Unknown. That enthusiasm & adrenaline fills a void of many sorts for many people. Me, I quit drinking and the hobbies to fill my time has filled my time off
Well said! Few items are made with pride anymore. Fast build, cheap materials and big profits. Plastics fit like a glove. What a mistake that was. You see what rubber tires are doing to salmon. I can't imagine what plastics breaking down in the environment will do. I thought this was a great subject. Thanks for the reply, your thought and story.
ROBBYBOBBY64.
The other side of the coin is, while everything used to be made here in the US and lots of it in Chicago where I'm at the environment took a beating, and the workers took even a bigger beating. While everybody enjoys getting cheap junk it just shifted everything to countries that don't care about the environment or the workers. It would be nice to have a happy medium. The problem is figuring out what that is.

UncleBruce

BEER DUDE
Reaction score
Bass fishing and a 9…. Your speaking MY language! It’s been good this year- because the fish are so close together, I think…. They are suicidal and just jump in the boat! We didn’t keep any of those bad boys, but our friend likes to go out ther with us and always limits. We just got new downriggers and don’t know what we are doing yet, but there are land locked salmon and sturgeon in that puddle which was a lake.
That’s just sad! I’m glad we didn’t buy that cabin across and up on the left in the trees, last year. Lake access only- would be 1 hell of a treck, carrying everything!
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Huge areas of bank exposed! Did it fill back up this year?

Reaction score
This is an amazing post and the article really hits the nail on the head. I collect a lot of things: bottles, sports/Pokémon cards, coins, banknotes, comic books, WW2 relics (weapons/swords) etc. Of the things collecting from hunting, I feel a connection with those the most. During times in my life where stress and emotions take over, I find refuge in going over my finds and my collection. It takes me back to the moment I found them and, for a brief moment, I am taken away from all the worries of the world.
I also find happiness in being able to let my children put their hands on the history they learn about in school.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
I find looking at a collection relaxing as well. Very therapeutical. I thought it was a great topic. The way I felt like the author was reading my mind. For me it was an eye opener. I never buy a bottle when angry or depressed now. Happiness is not something that can be obtained by buying a new bottle. It can just masks the pain temporarily.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Reaction score
Luckily, no pythons or crocodiles. I live somewhat in No. Central Florida and they are fairly South.
Have all kinds of water vipers & alligators though.
Did you go fishing?
opmustard
As much as I can. I went 5:30am yesterday down to the shark River. I caught 6 fish ate my lunch on the jetty and was home by 2pm.
I'm only 45 minutes away. I can do this and have before many times everyday.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mlzeigler