question about early bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
I admit that i know squat about bottles other than how to dig them. I have always wondered how the early flat bottom flared lip bottles were blown. I dig flat bottom crude bottles mixed in with pontils. Are they blown from the top and sheared off?

sandchip

Reaction score
Dang Jim, I wish I was so pitiful to only know how to dig bottles. They all were blown from the top, but maybe the smooth-based ones of the same age were held with a sabot while shearing and finishing. That's just what I figure, 'cause I've wondered the same thing.

andy volkerts

Reaction score
I believe they were held by what is called a snapcase mold or mold post that held the bottle in place as the worker tooled or applied the top, they came into being as early as 1855-60...Red Mathews will know more if you care to contact him, he is a forum member and is the nicest person on here, and will tell you more than you will want to know about antique bottles[:)]

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I admit that i know squat about bottles other than how to dig them. I have always wondered how the early flat bottom flared lip bottles were blown. I dig flat bottom crude bottles mixed in with pontils. Are they blown from the top and sheared off?

I've always wondered about these bottles too. There are a number of smaller medicines which are not pontil scared but are very early and have very flat bases. One thing I have noted is there are often glass shards embedded in the bases of these bottles which leads me to believe they were finished right on some working surface in the glass house. There is likely small bits of glass laying everywhere in those plces. I would think that by the time the bottle gets to the annealing oven its probably already cooled enough that stuff wont stick to it well.
Also the lips on some of these medicines isnt really flared in the traditional sense, its more like it was just mashed down and flared out a bit. A simpler, quicker finish than a nice thin tooled flare.

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
here are 2 bottles from the same privy and at the same use layer. Both are palmer vegetable lotion bottles. The pontil one is thick and the flat base one is paper thin and crude

8BB6FEE594094F4F897068FD20F90E6F.jpg

Attachments

• 8BB6FEE594094F4F897068FD20F90E6F.jpg
    8BB6FEE594094F4F897068FD20F90E6F.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 79

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score

C0DFCABD2A5C42F285BA5E21D30143D7.jpg

Attachments

• C0DFCABD2A5C42F285BA5E21D30143D7.jpg
    C0DFCABD2A5C42F285BA5E21D30143D7.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 63

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Red Mathews will know more if you care to contact him, he is a forum member and is the nicest person on here, and will tell you more than you will want to know about antique bottles
Well talk about advertizing - I guess I don't need it.
Most of these early medicines are in my collection as PUFFS. Cause that is about all the air they needed to blow them. There has been a few posted threads about them recently. I think they are all great. Some were just blown and marved to be straight sided, some later ones were blown in a body mold to produce indented vertical corners, or six to eight and up to twelve panels. I am sure this was done to help handling them later. Some were open pontiled with the previous blow pipe glass and some were created by the bottoms flat - I have to assume that this was a bottom formed by a closed to plug. They are just early and facinating glass items.
I also have some with little pieces of glass on them, Matt - so I agree with your feeling about the source.
Great hobby. RED Matthews

GuntherHess

Reaction score
not sure why but I have run into these types of bottle more in flint glass than aqua.
It may be that flint glass houses were making different products like glasses and salts. They might have used some different techniques. Of course there were many glass plants that made both flint AND green glass.
Maybe some early form of a snap case type tool, a sabot like Sandchip mentions?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
I've had my own theory but was never able to substantiate it.
An experienced blower could form the lip while it's still in the mold.
That's it.[:)]

baltbottles

Reaction score
Matt I have to agree that it has something to do with flint glass. Perhaps leaded glass can handle temperature transitions better and remains more fluid longer allowing the bottle to be held and finished in a different manor then regular bottle glass.

Chris

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles