question about early bottles

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I was thinking they possibly learned a few tricks doing pressed mold work that they used on these bottles.
Finishing the lip in the mold seems possible since it is such a simple finish.
If they finished the lip in the mold and sent the bottle right to the anealing oven it might still be hot enough for glass shards to stick to the base and the base mold lines could be obscurred.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
I've had my own theory but was never able to substantiate it.
An experienced blower could form the lip while it's still in the mold.
That's it.
I don't think that would work because the iron would extract too much heat from the glass to let a strip of glass to be attached to the neck or even tooled without breakage due to the temperature difference.
Just my opinion though.
RED Matthews

sandchip

Reaction score
Yeah, and you'd have to either spin a 50 lb. mold or run circles around it to tool the lip.

deepbluedigger

Reaction score
I don't see any reason to think these are anything but early snap case bottles. Pontils started to disappear from some bottle types in the UK in the very early 1830s (but were still used on most glass bottles into the 1850s), and I'd guess US glass houses followed a similar trend?

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I don't think that would work because the iron would extract too much heat from the glass to let a strip of glass to be attached to the neck or even tooled without breakage due to the temperature difference.

The bottles I am referring to dont appear to have any glass added to the lip finish. It appears they just sheared off the glass then mashed it down some. It flared out a bit under the pressure. As I said, it seems a very simple finish.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I don't see any reason to think these are anything but early snap case bottles

I wouldnt rule out snap case handling but these bottles have some odd charactorists that I cant easily explain.

GuntherHess

Reaction score
I've been trying to find some aqua examples but all the examples I have are clear/flint. Not sure if thats a clue or a coincidence.

RED Matthews

Reaction score
The bottles I am referring to dont appear to have any glass added to the lip finish. It appears they just sheared off the glass then mashed it down some. It flared out a bit under the pressure. As I said, it seems a very simple finish.

Well we know for sure that a lot of the burst off finishes were used the way they came out of the mold. I have several of the Clyde Glass three part molded fire dowser bottles that were bursted of and used that way. There were a lot of inks that were left with the burst off neck. especially French ones.
I haven't seen any flared lip bottles that were pressed out while the glass was in the mold, but it is hard to tell. I have seen some rounded ones that would make one wonder. RED Matthews

Basil.W.Duke

Reaction score
another observation about early flint glass bottles is that the pontils seem to be more solid and some look almost like a solid rod was used

EEBC34909BA04E51AA464513E8A88C64.jpg

Attachments

• EEBC34909BA04E51AA464513E8A88C64.jpg
    EEBC34909BA04E51AA464513E8A88C64.jpg
    32.6 KB · Views: 62

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member