Question for the Experienced Privy Digger

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
My Parents Own a House that dates back to 1717. They have quite a bit of land with it (we already picked clean the dump). It originally was a Servants quarters for a much lager farm. Since then a couple of additions were built. The latest in 1973 when my parrents bought it (nothing was found when the foundation was dug). I have often wondered where the old privys would be. I have even looked for the most noticable signs but found nothing. About ten years ago they had a new well dug and they ran into what was once a Root cellar made of brick mostly. This was located about 15 feet from the back door. We even found some OLD photos of the house (the back area) and the only building (other than the house) visible was an old "kitchen house" wich was a fair distance from the house. But alas No Outhouses. where should I look for these elusive privys? Should I just take my probe and start Poking and Hopeing?

cyberdigger

Reaction score
1717? Whoa!! I don't think they had invented outhouses yet!!

capsoda

Reaction score
Could the root cellar have been a cistern??? If so the privys would be pretty far away from it. I would pick a likely spot and start probing until I found them. It is alot of work but may well be worth it.

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Look for roses, lilacs, dogwoods, etc...any fragrant flowering plants...anywheres from 20 feet to 75 feet from the back door.
If there's a barn, might have been in that.
If there's a distinct line of trees, a boundry, or a stone wall, look along that.

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
there are 3 barns on my parents Property. Only One dates back to the Times Of privys. That barn is a good football field away from the house. I did find an old moxie underneath this barn. But I would Think it is too far from the house....Not to mention there didnt seem to be a outhouse in it. There is a row of lilacs just outside the back door, But I dont know if my parents put it there or not, Ill Ask. And there is many Old stone walls on the property but most are in spots not likely to have been good spots for an outhouse. But I will thuroughly recheck all of theese. Thanks Oldtimer!

Oh and to Cap. Thank you for the Suggestion, but when we ran into the brick we stopped them digging immediatley and called our local historian friend who told us it was a root cellar.

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
LOL George! Unfortunately it was filled in. And at the time I was not a digger. I would try and dig it up now if it wasnt so close to the water line from the well (actually the line goes through it).

Just Dig it

Reaction score
You must look deep inside yourself....Sit in a state of trance and Jim will come to you..the lizard king will tell you where to dig..

doorsmaniac

Reaction score
lol thats really funny. I had a dream last night that i probed the area where my parents now have a patio and I found a privy........Jim wasnt in it though....lol

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Saturday