QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Follow up ...

I just called the antique dealer who has the book where I saw the cardboard sign listed for $300.00, and asked him to hold it for me to purchase. I looked at so many books the day I was in there, that I got my publication dates mixed up. The date of the book is 1993, and one of the reasons I will be getting it so cheap at half price for $10.00.

So does this new date, which was obviously some time prior to 1993, mean the sign is worth more now, or less? I guess it depends on how many (if any) have turned up since then. But based on my and other's inability to find a single item (sign - cap - bottle) it certainly suggest they are just as rare now as they likely have always been. I just wish e-bay would initiate an acrhives of past sales, but I guess that would be asking too much. Perhaps someday they will do this very thing. I'm sure they have the capability now.

In conclusion ... I reiterate my initial question: Would a sign that sold around 1993 be worth more or less now? And since I am the one doing the speculating here, I say ... "More!" Especially if/when a true rarity factor can be established.

I honestly believe if one of the bottles (in great shape) ever turned up on e-bay, and the seller highly promoted the bottles currently know rarity, that it could very well exceed my high value mark of $1200.00! It would not only be of interest to soda bottle collectors in general, but also a wide variety of other collectors as well. And from what I have seen of Popeye collectors, they are very passionate when it comes to finding rare items connected to their little buddy, "Popeye The Salior Man."

From 1957 TV Guide.

D950E120D10542A68F846DE0BB0A2053.jpg

Attachments

• D950E120D10542A68F846DE0BB0A2053.jpg
    D950E120D10542A68F846DE0BB0A2053.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 86

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I hope no one objects to my ramblings today. It just so happens that Friday is typically my "stay at home" day off. Which sometimes causes me to get carried away with things like I am doing now. With this said, I wanted to share this example of just how hot certain Popeye collectibles are these days. And at the same time it will allow me the opportunity to introduce many of you to a new internet auction website you may never have heard of before. I briefly mentioned it in a previous post, but now after watching it and finally joining (Free) I thought this would be a good time to share it with others. And by "watching it," I mean to say that I have found absolutely no problems with it, nor has my high-level security system detected any problems. I know some of you are leary of this sort of thing, as am I. But I can say with conviction now that it is one of the best sites of it's kind I have ever seen, and am getting to the point where I almost like it better than e-bay. (Sorry e-bay, but that's life). The site is not specific to soda related stuff, but it definitely has a lot of it available, including bottles. Like e-bay, it also has tons of other stuff that collectors like ourselves are interested in. But best of all, it has an "Archives Category" that e-bay does not have. At present I am not sure how far back the archives goes, but I can tell you it is at least a few years.

Signing up is easy and free. Originally I thought they charged a fee, but realize now I was mistaken about that. So I guess the only way to find out more is to check it out for yourselves and see what you think. Other than that, about all I can say at present is ... "I highly recommend It!" [:D]

Here's the link to their home page ... http://www.liveauctioneers.com/[/align] [/align]

And now, back to Popeye. Searching through the sites extensive archives, I tried to find an item similar to the Popeye cardboard sign in question. Apparently our particular sign has never shown up on the site. But I did find the following ...[/align] [/align]From an auction that closed on October 10, 2009[/align] [/align]

Cardboard Die-Cut Popeye Fudgicle Radio Show Sign ... Sold For $150

[/align]At the top, just above the microphone it is copyright dated 1929 King Features Syndicate Inc. It is also copyright dated 1938 Joe Lowe Corp. Appears to have never been used and the easel back was never unfolded. The countertop standee advertises Popeye's radio show circa 1938 sponsored by Fudgicle. The sign also advertises the premiums available to kids who save up their Fudgicle bags and exchange them for swell gifts. Provenance: Collection of Carl Lobel. 9" x 6".[/align] [/align] ~ * ~[/align] [/align]Below is the accompanying photo of the sign itself. Please note, this is just to examplify what "some" Popeye items sell for. This just happend to be the best example of a sign that I could find. [/align] [/align]Thanks for allowing me to ramble today, and also for allowing me to be ... "what I yam." I hope you enjoy the new website.[/align] [/align]SPBOB[/align]
[/align][/align]

[/align]

[/align]

F482B35724F44E62848088AD8902C8BE.jpg

Attachments

• F482B35724F44E62848088AD8902C8BE.jpg
    F482B35724F44E62848088AD8902C8BE.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 84

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
I have pretty much given up all hope of ever finding a photo of a Popeye soda pop bottle on the internet. I just cannot find one anywhere. But what I am doing is sending the message below to every Popeye collector / museum / website / etc. that I have saved in my files. I just started this yesterday, so hopefully sometime this coming week I will hear back from one or more of them. Keep your fingers crossed. (Note: As mentioned in the message below, I am also sending them images of the bottle cap and paper label).

Thanks,

SPBOB

Message copy/pasted exactly as sent:

Hello ~[/align] [/align]I have enjoyed your website as part of my ongoing research to try and determine the history surrounding Popeye Soda Pop. Inserted are images of an original bottle cap and paper label. I am not certain of the dates, but believe they are from the 1930s.[/align] [/align]I was hoping you could tell me more about the brand, and possibly even have a photo of one of the bottles itself, which I do not have. Plus, if you happen to have an Internet link that discusses it, that would be of interest to me as well. [/align] [/align]Thank you in advance for your time and interest.[/align] [/align]Bob Brown[/align] [/align][/align] [/align][/align]

epackage

Reaction score
Bob I'm sure you sent these people an e-mail right??
Jim

http://www.popeyethesailor.com/shop/

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Speak of the devil ... I just now heard back from one of my contacts. And here is what he had to say. (Copy/Pasted).

Sorry, I am not familiar with that item. Best of luck. Keith[/align] [/align]Gasoline Alley Antiques;
Thousands of Vintage & Collectible Toys, Model Kits, Nostalgia and Sports Memorabilia for sale. Over 120,000 items listed, with over 15,000 photographed. We UPDATE daily. Stop by and visit. http://www.gasolinealleyantiques.com

[/align]

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
epackage ~

Yep! That site was number one on my list. I have not heard back from them yet. If anybody knows anything, they should. I hope!

Thanks,

Bob

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
epackage ~

The photo below and the one to follow on the next page are display cases from the Popeye museum. I have zoomed / enlarged, and done everything I can think of to try and determine if one of the items shown is a soda pop bottle. But I just cannot say for sure. What do you think?

Thanks again,

Bob

Display Case # 1

0DC59803F2A641DD938AA3C8FD334FD9.jpg

Attachments

• 0DC59803F2A641DD938AA3C8FD334FD9.jpg
    0DC59803F2A641DD938AA3C8FD334FD9.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 97

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Display Case # 2

5376A022E2F94731A72EB2D952C57F94.jpg

Attachments

• 5376A022E2F94731A72EB2D952C57F94.jpg
    5376A022E2F94731A72EB2D952C57F94.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 85

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
By the way ...

I even joined an "Advanced Search Engine" website as a temporay guest that charged $4.95 for a trial search. I entered every possibe word combination I could think of ...

Popeye Soda Bottle / Popeye Soda Pop Bottle / Popeye Beverage / Popeye Soda ... etc; etc.

And even after it searched literally thousands of possibilities, the result was zilch - nada - nothing!

SPBOB

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: thesodafizz

I have lost all the electronic copies of each magazine I did, but have most of them as actual printed magazines. So, I went to the issue mentioned and found:

The At the Auction Popeye item is a crowncap that ended for $162.50. It is different than the one posted, with a sailboat instead of the likeness of Popeye. I only have the b/w image that appeared in the auction, but it is better than nothing.

K

4B05C43927A74DEC8C0E8C4FE3B7AD91.jpg

4E395CD63ABE4126BEF801122F32E26C.gif

I am re-posting Kathy's (From The Soda Fizz Magazine) reply along with a color photo of the same bottle cap that I received from one of the e-mail inquires I spoke about. I am awaiting permission from the sender to post the message that accompanied the color photo. Please note that both photos are of the identical cap, other than one is black-and-white and one is color. This is the actual cap that sold for $162.50. Hopefully I will hear from the sender soon and be able to post ... "The rest of the story."

SPBOB

Attachments

• 4E395CD63ABE4126BEF801122F32E26C.jpg
    4E395CD63ABE4126BEF801122F32E26C.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 91

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter