QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

2find4me

Reaction score
Re: RE: QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Maybe they created a prototype Popeye bottle as well to go along with the cap and label? I sure hope they did, but I can only wish

CreekWalker

Reaction score

I've seen the Popeye signs in the antique malls since the late nineties and in Cracker Barrell restaurants, here in the south. I always thought they are fake , and not a reproduction! But this post has changed my mine. However, I'll looked in Ant. Malls in KY , MS, TN, MO, Ala. and AR, TX, Fl , and I spent hours searching , digging, and look at bottles of every description. Not a sign of Popeye , except on canned greens. This is sorta like big foot, and alien sightings. Scant evidence , but very little proof of the bottles existence . I feel one will pop up, the owner will google it, and end up here! In 1982 , I read about a local hutch , in Carlos Selari's bottle price guide, it is the first known soda bottle , in my hometown , well documented , yet local collectors heard of it , but never saw one. After 23 years , I dug one, less than a year later , I found another! Sometimes that's how it happens. Maybe it will for you!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

2find4me and CreekWalker: Thanks for the interest and support. 1. My paper sign 2. Here for the first time is the certificate I received when I had my paper sign examined. I intentionally blocked out the address and phone number of the individual to protect his privacy. When I had it examined I left it with Scott for a couple of hours and then went back and got it. Prior to his examining it I did not provide him with any information and just let it be examined based upon its own merit. After receiving the certificate Scott told me he was tempted to date it circa 1930s and leave out the 1940s part because he was confident it would test 1930s. He said in order to narrow it down more precisely that he would need to do a forensic test on the paper and ink, which would cost considerably more than what I had already paid. He assured me that I could take it to a hundred appraisers and that the results would be the same in that it was 1930s or early 1940s at the latest. He also told me that when he signed his name to something that he was putting his reputation on the line and would back up his evaluation 100% if anyone ever challenged it. 3. Where it says on the bottom "WATCH IN YOUR LOCAL STORE FOR THIS DRINK WILL BE HERE SOON" is quite possibly the best piece of evidence we have that indicates the drink had not been marketed yet and could even be an indication that negotiations were still being conducted to secure the rights, but for reasons unknown were never granted in order to legally market the drink.

Attachments

• e042d89d588d4acb80d55003a8fbf8b7.jpg
    e042d89d588d4acb80d55003a8fbf8b7.jpg
    15 KB · Views: 72
  • 0f34bf99d95943fc82eb473d2ed9b94a.jpg
    0f34bf99d95943fc82eb473d2ed9b94a.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 80
  • 02e309176b8e481f9bcc82ee7518aa32.jpg
    02e309176b8e481f9bcc82ee7518aa32.jpg
    61.9 KB · Views: 83

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

~ FOR SALE ~ My Popeye sign, with original evaluation certificate, is for sale @ best offer of $1,000 or more. I will only consider offers at a minimum of $1,000. This amount might be considerably more than some individuals think its worth, but because I really don't want to sell it, I will let it go at this amount to compensate for the seller's remorse I am having even as I write this. Because Bruce Shults declined my offer of $500 for his Popeye bottle cap several years ago, I feel my sign is at least in the same league as the cap and worth just as much if not more. Notice the amount that Ted Hank assigned to a Popeye cardboard sign, which is pictured in one of his books titled ... Hake's Guide To Comic Character Collectibles Copyright 1993 Page 130 Plus the cardboard sign pictured in B. J. Summers book ... Collectible Soda Pop Memorabilia Copyright 2004 Page 175 If interested in making an offer, please PM me for details. If no offers are received in the next few months I plan to have the paper and ink tested forensically. But because that will cost in the neighborhood of $200, the price after its tested could go up accordingly. Note: If not interested, please do not criticize my asking price. There just might be a Popeye or soda collector out there who would gladly pay the asked for amount. [Attachments] 1. From Hake's 1993 book 2. From B. J. Summers 2004 book

Attachments

• 92181e64edb046b3a3fa491b39cdc598.jpg
    92181e64edb046b3a3fa491b39cdc598.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 67
  • a5b80f12050c45d89234c5b967ea58bc.jpg
    a5b80f12050c45d89234c5b967ea58bc.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 71

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

P.S. No "Wimpy offers" allowed if interested in my sign ... [:D]

Attachments

• 230845a44e544b25ae4c69ab04d4f8ae.jpg
    230845a44e544b25ae4c69ab04d4f8ae.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 75

CreekWalker

Reaction score

Haha! Wimpy alway said he would "gladly pay you Tuesday"! So No offers on Tuesday either! Because Tuesday never comes ! Good luck.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

I sent the following message to KING FEATURES via their current homepage ... For the past five years I have been researching the possible existence of a brand of soft drink called POPEYE TROPICAL BEVERAGE. The evidence to support its possible existence are a paper label designed for a bottle with a sailing schooner on it; a bottle cap with the same sailing schooner; and a glossy paper advertising sign that I own which says Drink Popeye and shows Popeye holding two soda bottles. I had this glossy paper sign examined by a paper expert and he said it was made sometime in the late 1930s or early 1940s. On the bottom of the bottle label is PORTO RICO PALE DRY CO., PHILADELPHIA, PA. which I have researched and was owned by brothers Morris and Harry Cohen. On the bottom of my glossy paper sign it has COPR. 1929 KING FEATURES SYNDICATE INC. I am wondering if there are any records in your archives that will shed some light on these mystery items and possibly explain there origin and whether the Porto Rico Pale Dry Co. ever attempted to or did produce a Popeye soft drink in the 1930s or 1940s? Any information you can provide me with regarding this will be very much appreciated by not only myself, but by collectors worldwide. Thank you in advance for your time and interest.

iggyworf

Reaction score

I've been keeping tabs on this thread. Let's hope they have some answers for us! By the way, nice painting Bob!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

iggy: Thanks for complimenting my painting. I'm just now getting back into it and the local response has been favorable. By the way, the email I sent King Features yesterday did not allow picture attachments, but just this morning I found one that did. So I sent them several pictures plus this revised message ...
To Whom It May Concern:

Yesterday, I sent a similar message as the one below to the contact that appears on King Features homepage. However, that contact did not include the option to attach pictures, so I am resending it because I just discovered this address where I can. If possible, please forward this message to the appropriate department. Thank you.

For the past five years I have been researching the possible existence of a brand of soft drink called POPEYE TROPICAL BEVERAGE. The evidence to support its possible existence are a paper label designed for a bottle with the image of a sailing schooner and the word Popeye on it. There's also a bottle cap with the same sailing schooner and the word Popeye. Additionally, there is a glossy paper advertising sign that I own which says Drink Popeye and shows Popeye holding two soda bottles. The glossy paper sign measures approximately 12" high by 6" wide. I had this glossy paper sign examined by a paper expert and he provided me with certification that said it was made sometime in the late 1930s or early 1940s. Printed on the bottom of the bottle label is PORTO RICO PALE DRY CO., PHILADELPHIA, PA., which I have researched and was owned by brothers Morris and Harry Cohen. On the bottom of my glossy paper sign it has COPR. 1929 KING FEATURES SYNDICATE INC. I'm wondering if there are any records in your archives that will shed some light on these mystery items and possibly explain their origin and whether the Porto Rico Pale Dry CO. ever attempted to or possibly did produce a Popeye soft drink in the 1930s or 1940s? I have searched various sources but as yet cannot find any references other than the three items mentioned above in connection with a POPEYE TROPICAL BEVERAGE soft drink. This topic has been discussed on numerous collector forums over the years but to date no one seems to know the answers. The tin signs that appear on eBay from time to time, which were made by the AAA Company, are obvious fantasy/fakes and seem to have been copied from signs such as my glossy paper example. Speculation suggest the PORTO RICO PALE DRY COMPANY attempted to purchase the rights to use Popeye for their soft drink but for reasons unknown never did. Any information you can provide me with regarding this will be very much appreciated by not only myself, but by Popeye and soda pop collectors worldwide.

[Attachments]

1. My glossy paper sign (Tested as original paper from the 1930s-40s)
2. Paper bottle label (From a collectors book in black & white but no doubt was colored)
3. Unused bottle cap
4. Cardboard sign of questionable origin that might be a fake

Note: The bottle label and bottle cap shown here are the only known examples. As for the glossy paper sign, I have only seen one other example like it. The Popeye cardboard signs that have been found are of questionable origin.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

I haven't heard back from King Features yet, which might be good news because they could easily have sent me a reply by now saying they had no information. So I'm hoping the delay means that someone is looking into it. If/when I hear from them I will post what they have to say.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alatide