QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Re: RE: QUICK "POPEYE SODA" QUESTION

Just for the record ... Here's the full text for the 1953 Wishniak copyright I posted earlier ( Notice the 5Sep51 which is another copyright reference of some sort for September 5, 1951 ) PORTO RICO PALE DRY COMPANY. © Porto Rico dietetic beverage Cola, Concord de-lite, root beer, black cherry wishniak, pale dry ginger ale. Labels. Appl. author: Morris J. Cohen. © 5Sep5l, KK100,67.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

Did you see the one I posted in my big research post? I don't blame you if you didn't lol.[/quote]

No, I don't recall seeing it. What Page and Post Number?

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

SODAPOPBOB said:
About the soda's 1929 copyright date. 1929 was the first year of Popeye's appearance in the comic strips. Throughout the 30s, numerous Popeye toys, games, books, etc. continued to display the original 1929 copyright on them, regardless of what year in the 30s they actually first came out. But I can't recall (by memory anyway) a single King Features Syndicate licensed Popeye product manufactured after 1939 that carried the 1929 copyright. This makes for a pretty strong case that the soda was made sometime in the 1930s.

Above is part of a message I received from Popeye collector Bruce Schultz in October of 2010. Its from Page 6, Post #116 of this thread. I thought it would help shed some light on what I was saying recently about various Popeye copyright dates. Especially notice what he said regarding 1939

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

2find4me said:
Searching around for Porto Rico:porto Rico Blue ACL 7 oz (I'm assuming cap is not original) eBay Sold for $12.95Porto Rico Book Cover (Showing flavors Orange Blossom & Black Cherry) eBay Sold for $10.80Porto Rico Red ACL 12 oz, eBay Sold for $9.99Porto Rico Blue ACL 12 oz, eBay Sold for $9.99(1949) Porto Rico Red/White/Green ACL 10 oz, eBay Sold for $7.Porto Rico Orange Blossom Blue ACL 16 oz, eBay Sold for $39.98 Best Offer Accepted. Porto Rico Orange Paint (Orange Blossom) 24-Slot Wooden Crate Worthpoint.Two different Porto Rico Bottle Openers #1 & #2, worthpoint.(1953) Porto Rico Red/White/Green ACL 10 oz, Worthpoint.(1961) Porto Rico Blue ACL 7 oz, Worhtpoint.(1964) Porto Rico Blue ACL 7 oz, Worthpoint.(Variant #1) Porto Rico Fruit Beverages Tin Sign (11"x23"), Worthpoint.(Variant #2) Porto Rico Fruit Beverage 5c Sign (13 1/2"x19 3/4"), Worthpoint.Porto Rico Orange Blossom Sign w/ Interesting Bottle, Worthpoint.Porto Rico Cream Soda Cap, Worthpoint.Porto Rico Orange Blossom Soda Cap, Worthpoint.Port Rico Fruit Beverages Soda Cap (Black & Red), Worthpoint.Porto Rico "Golden Slipper Beverages" 7 oz, Worthpoint.Porto Rico "Tas-Tee Cola" 16 oz, Worthpoint. Paper Label? Textured Porto Rico Pale Dry Co. Stubby, LINK.Porto Rico Company photographs, signs, & labels by Bob [:)] LINK. Includes Following:porto Rico Sparkling Club Soda 30 oz. Paper Label, LINK.Porto Rico Fruit Beverages Blue & Red/Orange Paint Wooden Crate, LINK.Porto Rico Orange Blossom 5c Door Tin Sign, LINK.Porto Rico Beverages Orange/Dark Green/White ACL 10 oz Textured, LINK. Porto Rico & Popeye Album by Bob, LINK. Including:porto Rico Porto-Kola Paper Label, LINK. Porto Rico Philadelphia Speaks Discussion, LINK. Porto Rico Beverages 1 Pint "Giant Size" Blue Paper Label, LINK.Porto Rico Draught Root Beer 30 oz Paper Label, LINK.

2find4me / Sharon I apologize and stand corrected regarding your extensive research that I said I don't recall seeing. Of course I saw it and even opened every link. In fact, it was your link that led me to the Porto Rico book cover. When I said I had never seen one of the book covers before, I meant during the past five years and not the one's you found on eBay. The time you spent on finding all of that stuff is to be commended and is very much appreciated. I should have acknowledged it was you where I found the eBay source and do so now with appreciation. Respectfully, Bob

2find4me

Reaction score

Its all good, glad I could help out a bit.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

~ TO SUMMARIZE ~

After five years of research by myself and numerous others, I feel this discussion boils down to four primary questions, which are ...

1. Was there ever a Popeye Tropical Beverage?

2. How do we explain the existence of the Popeye Tropical Beverage paper label by the Porto Rico Pale Dry Company of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania?

3. How do we explain the existence of the unused Popeye bottle cap owned by Popeye collector Bruce Shults?

4. How do we explain the existence of the various Drink Popeye cardboard signs and my paper sign that I had examined and deemed as 1930s original?

As much as I wish I could answer even one of these questions, with bona fide documentation to support it, the truth is, other than a lot of speculation by myself and others, there is no bona fide documented proof to support that such a soft drink ever existed. Nor is there any bona fide documented proof to support that the Porto Rico Pale Dry Company ever attempted to acquire the rights to use Popeye to promote a soft drink. The general consensus seems to be that if the Porto Rico Pale Dry Company attempted to or did acquire the rights to use Popeye to promote a soft drink, that it occurred in either the 1930s or 1940s.

Having reread all 27 pages of this thread, the one thing that stands out more than any other for me is the information regarding the Pepsi Cola Company's attempt to purchase the rights to use Popeye in 1939, but then decided against it because the Pepsi Cola Company either did not want to pay the asked amount or else just couldn't afford it, with most accounts stating they couldn't afford it because of a limited advertising budget. (By doing a simple Google search there are ample references that discuss the attempt by the Pepsi Cola Company to purchase the rights to use Popeye in their advertising in 1939).

The long story short, and question numero uno for me is ...

If the Pepsi Cola Company couldn't afford to acquire the rights to use Popeye, then how could a somewhat small bottler located in Philadelphia possibly afford it either?

Which raises the question again about the Porto Rico Pale Dry Company paper Popeye label. Why would they produce a paper label, and possibly signs and bottle caps, prior to acquiring the rights to use Popeye? Did they assume in advance that the rights would be acquired but jumped the gun by producing a variety of promotional items? Or is there some other explanation? I wish I knew the answers to these questions, but the truth is, I don't! But that doesn't mean the answers won't be found someday. If answers do exist, I expect they will be eventually be found in a Philadelphia library or in one of several Philadelphia public records archives. Unfortunately, the newspaper archives I'm subscribed to do not include any Philadelphia newspapers. But those newspapers no doubt exist if we can just find a volunteer to search them out in Philadelphia.

For starters, here is a copy/pasted account, which is one of many I found on Google regarding Pepsi Cola's attempt to purchase the rights to use Popeye ...

"When a Pepsi collector finds anything Pepsi and Pete that is original and not a reproduction it is like finding the Holy Grail. When the 12 ounce bottle was introduced it resulted in Pepsi Cola becoming a major participant in consumer advertising. Almost overnight, the Pepsi Cola Company had to develop a new and better advertising campaign. One of the most popular ideas was to use a cartoon character from the Sunday funnies. The first thought was to buy the rights to Popeye the Sailor Man and have him drink Pepsi instead of a can a spinach. This proved to be too costly for the Pepsi Cola Company. Pepsi decided to create their own cartoon character. After many ideas were talked about, Pepsi decided on two Keystone Cop-style characters. Walter Mack was the president of the Pepsi-Cola Company at this time. He said they should be named Pepsi and Pete. So, in the fall of 1939, Pepsi and Pete made their premier appearance in magazine and newspaper ads. From 1939 until 1951, Pepsi and Pete were featured in the comic section of the Sunday newspapers around the country. Various artists were used to draw Pepsi and Pete, including one of the most famous artist, Rube Goldburg. The popularity of Pepsi and Pete brought about a greater usage of the Pepsi-Cola cops in magazine advertising, point of purchase materials, give-away novelties, and even an animated commercial shown at movie theaters during intermission. Today Pepsi and Pete memorabilia is at the top of the wish list for many Pepsi Collectors. Pepsi and Pete memorabilia is commanding top dollar for anything bearing the likeness of these two loveable characters."

The first attachment is just a sampling of the information that pertains to Pepsi Cola's attempt to purchase the rights to use the Popeye name, plus a couple that relate to "Pepsi and Pete"

1. From a Pepsi Cola collectors book
2. From the Carroll Daily Herald ~ Carroll, Iowa ~ October 3, 1939 (Part 1)
3. (Part 2)

Attachments

• 81d718e059d14ba8b8f0deba0746d1ab.jpg
    81d718e059d14ba8b8f0deba0746d1ab.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 76
  • fdf1cd6eef4b4512a3674410e07f82fe.jpg
    fdf1cd6eef4b4512a3674410e07f82fe.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 71
  • 8213b3ecf12a4184a87a4a2310328ac3.jpg
    8213b3ecf12a4184a87a4a2310328ac3.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 71

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

As near as I can determine, this is the first newspaper appearance of Pepsi and Pete that was published in numerous newspapers, with this particular one being from ... The News-Palladium ~ Benton Harbor, Michigan ~ September 26, 1939

Attachments

• 1916cdf97fab4f5cadc46639d3e4950a.jpg
    1916cdf97fab4f5cadc46639d3e4950a.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 83

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

~ INCONCLUSIVE CONCLUSION ~ I can only speak for myself when I say my current opinion is that the Porto Rico Pale Dry Company attempted to purchase the rights to use the Popeye name in order to promote their "Popeye Tropical Beverage" and for some unknown reason even went so far as to produce a variety of promotional items such as a paper label, bottle cap, and various signs in advance of securing those rights, but then ditched the idea when the final negotiations game to a head and they realized they could not afford it. Hence, the promotional items were either destroyed or produced in such limited quantities that only a few of them remain in existence today. That's my story and I'm sticking to it until something can be found to refute it. [:D]

Attachments

• 89853f31d9f0473b92e2409a2e33c4f2.jpg
    89853f31d9f0473b92e2409a2e33c4f2.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 74

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score

In Search of ... Someone who lives in or near Philadelphia who is willing to visit Philadelphia libraries and other public records archives and see if they can find any information pertaining to Popeye Tropical Beverage and/or any connection whatsoever with Popeye and the Porto Rico Pale Dry Company. Should such a volunteer ever come forth, it might solve this mystery once and for all. Thanks in advance to the individual who responds to this request now or in the future. But please don't take too long because a lot of us old time bottle collectors are gettin' kinda old. (Lol) [;)]

CreekWalker

Reaction score

Excellent research, on the Popeye bottle and other articles with Popeyes image! Hope some one can do the foot work to finish up on this!

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter