Welcome to our Antique Bottles Community

Your FREE Account is waiting to the Best Antique Bottle Community on the Web.

Register Log in

R.V. PIERCE MD

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
Just got this old slugplate wood mold med. Never have i seen one with dose increments on the back. No numbers to indicate amounts. I can't imagine it being accurate at all due to the bottle walls varying in thickness.

ROBBYBOBBY64.

Attachments

CanadianBottles

May 24, 2014
Nice find! This was the Dr. Pierce of the Favorite Prescription fame right? I can't imagine getting accurate measurements of that stuff would have mattered all that much.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
Yes it was Dr. Pierce's Golden Medical Discovery (Blood Purifier). Sold by Ray Vaughn Pierce and his son Valentine Motts Pierce from 1865 to 1942. Dr. R.V. Pierce was a member of the New York Senate, in office from 1878-1879. It looks like a match striker to me. I picture someone taking a swig of Golden Discovery and lighting his cigar or cigarette after.
ROBBYBOBBY64.

EvansBottles

Dec 20, 2016
Wood mold?! Are you kidding? Bottles molds were made of iron/steel.
What you are seeing is deterioration likely from rust. And the bottle is
a private mold. Not a slug plate bottle. I dug some of these back in the
1980's. This was the only farm dump that ever produced them. Along with
a number of other bottles that we usually didn't find in farm dumps.

nhpharm

Apr 24, 2007
Definitely not a wooden mold...would have been iron. I think some of what you are seeing is venting for the mold; they had trouble many times getting the glass to flow into the embossing and thus drilled little holes in the letters to allow the air out and the glass in.

ROBBYBOBBY64

Jan 11, 2020
New Jersey
Definitely not a wooden mold...would have been iron. I think some of what you are seeing is venting for the mold; they had trouble many times getting the glass to flow into the embossing and thus drilled little holes in the letters to allow the air out and the glass in.
Not wood...oh okay. You should know all I do is lie!
ROBBYBOBBY64. Over and out!

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fiddlersvoyage