Rarest PATERSON bottles history...

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

epackage

Reaction score
I found this great article about Peter Archdeacon who decided to sell Mineral Water at his Hotel Museum in 1850, the only pontiled bottle known to the area....I hope you all enjoy the article....Jim

One of the most colorful figures living in Passaic County more than one hundred years ago was Peter Archdeacon. A native of England, Mr. Archdeacon came to America after the close of the War of 1812 with his wife and three children and settled in the area of the Great Falls. He practiced the shoemaker’s trade, entered into the milk business, and built hand looms for a while.

The country of the falls area in his day was wild, only a handful of farmers having cleared much of the land; Washington’s encampment, within walking distance, had been vacated less than fifty years. Archdeacon loved the great out-of-doors and frequented the wooded areas of the Goffle, Wagaraw, the heights of Totowa, and the several sites where Washington’s army had encamped. From these and other nearby places, Peter Archdeacon collected a vast quantity of relics, minerals, and specimens of natural history. As his collection grew, he conceived the idea of erecting a museum where he might display his “curiosities†as well as interesting collections of which some friends of his possessed.

On April 30, 1833, General Abraham Godwin laid the cornerstone of the Museum Hotel on the northeast corner of Main and Smith Streets, Paterson, and the museum was opened to the public on December 21, 1833. It was a structure of two stories. On the street level was the hotel, while the upper floor housed the museum and theatre. A second floor balcony faced Main Street, which served as a rostrum for public speeches on many occasions before the days of the old Opera House.

The hotel was one of the best in town, and as was the custom in those days, the county Board of Freeholders usually held their meetings in various hotels and taverns through the county. Their meetings in the Museum Hotel were not unusual in 1837 and 1838.

A few days before the official opening of the Archdeacon museum, an advertisement in the daily paper stated in part:

"This museum is the only one in the state. A splendid treat is now offered to the lovers of Natural History. To hold the mirror up to Nature, Shall be out only aim. We exhibit a most pleasant Forest Scene, with all its natural decorations – the Panther, Bear, and Deer are seen at large, with other inhabitants of the forest."

The notice went on to state that the other exhibits would follow. Such objects as animals, birds, shells, and other objects would gradually be added to the collection.

The Hotel Museum was to be open every day at 9 o’clock in the morning and would be closed at 5 in the afternoon except on Wednesday and Saturdays, when the closing rime was set at 9 0’clock.

The price of admission was one shilling.

In 1860, the Paterson Daily Register ran the following advertisement:

Monday Eve., July 4, 1860
VALUABLE HOTEL PROPERTY FOR SALE
or to hire
at Paterson, N. J.

"The undersigned, being about to retire from business, offers for sale or to hire, that well known, commodious and long-established Hotel and Tavern known as the “Museum Hotel, situated on Main Street in the City of Paterson, N.J. with the adjoining lot, 125 feet long, containing stable, sheds, etc.

This hotel being located in the most eligible part of the city, amply furnished and fitted up in the most elegant style, regardless of expense, is well worth the attention of any active and enterprising person in the business, etc.

The whole of the above desirable, and valuable property will be disposed of on reasonable terms. Every information respecting the same can be obtained of the proprietor.

Peter Archdeacon."

The property was disposed of, but Mr. Archdeacon had only three years to enjoy retirement for he passed to the Great Beyond on May 21, 1863, at the age of 87 years.

6E90191734F74E52A8CC3C38D07DA477.jpg

Attachments

• 6E90191734F74E52A8CC3C38D07DA477.jpg
    6E90191734F74E52A8CC3C38D07DA477.jpg
    126.4 KB · Views: 69

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
The price of admission was one shilling.
That's interesting Jim, the whole article not just the shilling part. I would have thought they were done with by then. I did some reading and I was wrong.

kwalker

Reaction score
I agree. A bottle is great, but a story behind it is even better. How do you manage to dig up stuff like this?

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: kwalker

I agree. A bottle is great, but a story behind it is even better. How do you manage to dig up stuff like this?
Since work is scarce I spend alot time researching...I'd much rather be working but things in the construction biz are slow for sure..

surfaceone

Reaction score
Hey Jim,

Great bottle and rewarding history. Thanks for both. I remember you discussing the Archdeacon in the past. Did you just obtain it? Is this the lone Paterson pontil? More photos, please.

So what became of the "Museum" collection? Are there Archdeacon descendants running around the falls now?

hotelad3.jpg

epackage

Reaction score
I got the bottle last year, I'll add a pic of the pontil....I have been in touch with his Great Great Granddaughter and sent her pic's and the article and she was overwhelmed to say the least as she didn't know anything about him. There may be some stuff from the hotel at the Lambert Castle Museum, I need to stop in and see.

They misspelled Paterson with two "T's" which was a common mistake back then, many of my bottles have it spelled wrong, and yes this is the lone pontil....Jim

35C53B23DA164C4491307BA9D530FEDC.jpg

Attachments

• 35C53B23DA164C4491307BA9D530FEDC.jpg
    35C53B23DA164C4491307BA9D530FEDC.jpg
    103.1 KB · Views: 62

Wheelah23

Reaction score
Very, very cool history. Having a story behind a bottle is great. The fact that it's from a hotel probably means it's rarer than your average pontil soda (if there is such a thing [:D]).

I know of one bottle that's from a hotel. Around the TOC, O. Kanouse in Montclair owned the "Hotel Republic". I suspect his soda/beverage was served in the hotel. I haven't found any of his bottles yet, or even a shard.

epackage

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

Very, very cool history. Having a story behind a bottle is great. The fact that it's from a hotel probably means it's rarer than your average pontil soda (if there is such a thing [:D]).

I know of one bottle that's from a hotel. Around the TOC, O. Kanouse in Montclair owned the "Hotel Republic". I suspect his soda/beverage was served in the hotel. I haven't found any of his bottles yet, or even a shard.

I wonder if it was a hutch or a blob Connor?? Here's the hutch from Tod's site...

39FD9BB7770A49A98E24C395F461D218.jpg

Attachments

• 39FD9BB7770A49A98E24C395F461D218.jpg
    39FD9BB7770A49A98E24C395F461D218.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 73

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaygause