RE: Old bottle

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

techz

Reaction score
I'm trying to identify this bottles age. it looks as though it was made from clay and glass.
the bottle shape is perfect has a curve in it. there also seems to be fingerprints imbedded
in the rough finish. also there is a vineyard stamp into the clay which reads "F.C DAS
ALMASdaAREOSA AGUADAdeCIMA" and as part of the stamp is the symbol of a rooster.
i would also like to know how much this bottle could be worth?
any help would be greatly appreciated.

Jh15279.gif

Attachments

• Jh15279.gif
    Jh15279.gif
    172.9 KB · Views: 74

techz

Reaction score
Sorry i'm kinda new at this. Heres the update as for the label it is an old import label that says "Imported Rose Wine Bottled And Shipped By: Nicholai & Co. V.N. DE GAIA Product of Portugal Imported By Mutual Wholesale Liquor Inc. Los Angeles".
I found out the bottle is made of stone there are no seams and they range in from 10 7/8"-11" tall and 9"-9 1/4"round. And also the makers name was Jose da Costa Abrantes who had a factory in "AgaudaDeCima" a city somewhere in Portugal.
I also found out the name "AlmasDaAreosa" is the name of a chapel in AguadaDeCima that date's back to mid XVII century. and that Abrantes had a small factory built near the
Chapel AlmasDeAreosa which therefore gave the Factory name AlmasDeAreosa.
These bottles are in great condition no chips or cracks. also must have been hand made they did leave fingerprints in the finish.
I have 5 of them in all. There are 4 of them with the rose wine label and one with the Red Table Wine label.

I'm still finding it very hard to figure out the age, rarity and possible value I hope this info
helps and Thankyou for helping!

Jh14628.gif

Attachments

• Jh14628.gif
    Jh14628.gif
    182.5 KB · Views: 81

Maine Digger

Reaction score
Hi techz - This is just a guess, but I don't believe your wine container an antique; first of all the label appears to be ACL like the soda bottles in 50s - 60s, secondly, Mutual Wholesale Liquors is still listed in the phone book in LA. Maybe you could check with them to see how long ago they distributed the brand?

techz

Reaction score
I don't believe your wine container an antique

I didn't think or assume this bottle was antique just possibly a rarity, i haven't been able to find it. The importer could possibly still be in business, but the maker of the bottle appears to be gone? so far it seems the est. birthdate for this bottle is 1920-30 thats what I want to confirm also an estimated price, its seems i may have posted on the wrong side of the forum should be after 1900 Please forgive me i'm just a newbie... Thanks for replys...

Maine Digger

Reaction score
techz, when I was growing my parents had a bottle like yours (less the color label) that they used to hold the door open at the bottom of the stairs that led to us kid's bedrooms.[:)] It was same shape, and had a brown glaze and yes, a couple of fingerprints too. I'm going to be 52 next week, and our bottle was old then so... I suspect the style has been in use for a long time, I'm just not certain how long they have had the color label. Sorry this hasn't helped, but thanks for triggering some fond memories![;)]

towhead

Reaction score
Hi Techz- thanks for the new picture....looks like you guys figured it out!

bigkitty53

Reaction score
Hi techz,
That shape and style of bottle are still used today for a few European wines.It appears your bottles have a plastic seal over the cork.That didn't become popular until the late 50's early 60's.Can't help you on the rarity,I'm afraid.

Hope this helps,

KAT

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles