Real or Reproduction?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

donalddarneille

Reaction score
My sister picked this one up at an antique store for me while on vacation. Not knowing much about fruit jars I have no idea as to the age or value. What I do know is that it is a pint, embossed crown over the word "CROWN", machine made in Canada, and the most interesting shade of "Smokey Amber" I have ever seen on a jar. The zinc ring has been painted flat black and still has the original and matching glass liner. Any help with information for this one? Thanks, DD.

F25DBD4AFC8C4D0AA3F10428DD7035B8.jpg

Attachments

• F25DBD4AFC8C4D0AA3F10428DD7035B8.jpg
    F25DBD4AFC8C4D0AA3F10428DD7035B8.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 68

donalddarneille

Reaction score
Photo of the zinc lid and glass liner.....

9F478E14304B41AA90E4F9B4999FFD7D.jpg

Attachments

• 9F478E14304B41AA90E4F9B4999FFD7D.jpg
    9F478E14304B41AA90E4F9B4999FFD7D.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 65

LC

Reaction score
Looks like a real McCoy to me . There must be several varieties of these Canada jars . I have them in aqua and clear .

jimsears

Reaction score
Well, it's certainly a real jar, but the color doesn't look original. When selenium is used to manufacture glass that is clear instead of aqua, then irradiation will turn the glass smokey amber. This one looks "nuked" to me.

Jim Sears

LC

Reaction score
Could have been I guess , But I never saw a nuked bottle or jar turn amber before .

donalddarneille

Reaction score
Nuked jar turning amber? New to me also, but just because I havn't seen it doesn't mean it is not possible. I'll try to get a good shot of the color in the daylight tomorrow so you can see if we are referring to the same shade of amber.

donalddarneille

Reaction score
Did some checking around, and was told that selenium containing glass will turn murkey amber when irradiated, but not with UV radiation. They have to be actually "NUKED"! Can any one confirm this or what ever the actuall process is? Also would like to know when these jars were made, and if being "nuked" affects the value. My little sister paid $16.50 for the jar..... Did she get hosed?

LC

Reaction score
I wonder if you jar could have been from starting a different batch of glass and there was still some amber ingredients or the opposite still in the kiln ?? That sounds kind of silly to me now that I have read what I wrote ! Anyway , just a thought . My jars have a 48 on them , not sure if that is a batch run or possibly the year they were made . I posted one of mine on here and was told that it was commom running around four bucks or so . If yours is a real amber , I would think it would be worth more . I am sure someone will chime in with more info for you as time goes on .

dygger60

Reaction score
I have seen this discussed in other forums....LOTS of opinions. There are jars that do turn this shade of brown ( amber ) when nuked...they almost have the color of tobacco juice.

They can be found on eBay at times...

I agree with Jim....the earlier jars that have the selenium will turn an intense purple color... Ball jars I have seen around the same time period as this Crown do turn the amber shade.

The SKO Queen jars turn the very intense purple....

If you like it that is what counts.....real or nuked.

David

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter