Really exciting dig turns out to be a dud!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Mukurogirl

Reaction score
A really old place where a doctor used to live and we got permission to dig around the area as long as we kept our ATV vehicles on the trails and not the fields. Well we found where the first foundation on the place had been because of the well covered up beside it. Guess what? The guy that owns the place had a pond put in RIGHT WHERE THE DUMP FOR THE FOUNDATION WAS!

It was just recently done. I walked ontop of the banked walls of the pond and picked up crock pieces and old colored glass pieces all the way around the pond. We're hoping he only disturbed a corner of the dump and will return later with our metal detector to find the extent of the damage. That really ruined my hopes. You know it's old around here when you find more pieces of crock then glass in the area.

Next stop was the huge dump not far from the area. It was filled with new stuff though and we couldn't dig down far because there was too much metal crap catching on my pick to get far. I mean every time I laid my pick into the ground it got caught on old fencing wire or metal cables.

Well we soon gave up and went off the site to a different trail in which I proceeded to get my ATV stuck in a load of mud. Ugh..... We went to a smaller and different dump that my dad and some friends had found over the winter and I dug awhile. We went away with a Fruit water soda and a mineral water white coca cola bottle that puzzles me because we don't find that kind around here. Uusally just green thick coca cola bottles

Onward we went back some old buggy trails and to a log hunting cabin that was collapsing into itself. We went around and searched for the dump,tore apart a fallen apart shed in search of the privvy. Our labors yielded nothing except a beautiful,but broken pure white crock chamber pot. Ok. I'm not proud of this next part,but you have to understand we'd found out that this hunting cabin wasn't really owned by anyone anymore

It was going to fall apart completely,the roof had already collapsed in some places so we broke open the padlock on the door -going to fall off anyway soon- and I proceeded to slip through the cellar door and into the basement. We saw and old mill wheel where they'd sharpen their knives and some pots and pans. I was uneasy because the floor of the first floor was collapsing into the basement and so I didn't spend much time looking around. We took nothing. Anyway..thje house was going to collapse and my theory was that it was going to break some lovely old bottles if we didn't get in and rescue the lovelies. Turns out there was nothing,but some furniture and pans left.

Well we left to follow another trail where I spotted an old spring with a pan sticking out of the water. I stopped my 4-wheeler and got off to check it out. I yelled on my dad,but he didn't hear and I was impatient so I hopped off and checked it out on my own. I dipped my hand into the water and pulled out two pieces of broken plate perfectly cleaned and just resting in the water next to the bucket. It didn't make sense because this was quite a walking distance from the old hunting cabin. The hunting cabin already had a pump well that still works today -I tried it out-

I checked around and saw an unusual indent on the ground just a yard away from the spring. There was a small square stacking of rocks that we're gonna go check out next time with the metal detector. It turns out that trail was used for old coaches and buggies. I pulled up a large metal thingy that went around the old wheels and a small shard of glass. We headed home afterwards. Whoever lived out there must have been an original settler becaused no one has heard of anyone living out there other then the cabin people

madman

Reaction score
hey dont feel bad me and my buddy pryed a 500 pound cistern cap nearly hurniating ourselfs to find nothing so i feel ya mike

portland med. man

Reaction score
persistance will definatly pay off keep up the good work and you`ll also most likely get lucky sometimes those two come hand in hand....do you have a metal detector it will help out a bit as well.... cheers

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter