Really?!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

RedGinger

Reaction score
We've discussed the show before. The show and this petition are stupid, imo. Which is worse, the show or archaeologists beins so adamant against us digging up stuff they usually don't even care about? See the link they have to the show's description.

blobbottlebob

Reaction score
Yea Laur,
Its a huge part of our cultural and historical tradition that there are unearthed artifacts (that no one knows about) that might be exposed and sold to people (or even museums) that actually value those pieces. Unless those pieces stay hidden, we will lose our American identity.

RedGinger

Reaction score
I'm surprised more people don't have any thoughts to share on this. Here's another article I just saw.

Of course we don't want to excavate ancient sites or make people think bottles and metal detecting is where all the money is. We don't even want to really popularize this hobby. But I think the archaeologists take it too far with their hate for relic hunters. If Bearswede (Ron) were here, I think he'd have some things to say about it, as a former archaeologist.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Hey, Laur.. [:)]

Actually, I end up with a very decisive feeling of ambivalence when I ponder this subject. We who are not sanctioned by the authorities are, by law, not allowed to do what they do. That blows chunks, but it's the law. Some of us get permission from property owners, and some sneak in and dig where it it's technically punishable by law to do so.. I hate laws, but we need them I guess..

RedGinger

Reaction score
I'm talking about privies and areas we have permission to dig in. They think that is even wrong. I'm not talking about digging up Indian burial mounds or sites like Jamestown.

Wheelah23

Reaction score
I feel archaeology has its place... That place is not in a privy, except in certain historically significant places. Battlefields and the places "American Digger" will be digging, in my opinion, should be left to the pros, for the most part... That said, archies certainly do take their hate to the extreme. I prefer not to get involved in these things, as people are going to be offended either way, and nothing I can say will change their selfish minds... A girl I go to school with is going to be an archaeologist, and she posted a link to that petition on facebook... I resisted the urge to comment with something inflammatory. But I always try to make my "pot-hunting" as public as possible, posting pictures on facebook whenever I can... [;)]

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: Wheelah23

I feel archaeology has its place... That place is not in a privy, except in certain historically significant

That is all that needs to be said. I rarely chime in any more on this topic its like beating a dead horse.
Once they take over "Private Property privy's" then I will raise hell.but until then this subject just goes around and around,basically it is just something to talk about,because nothing EVER changes.
If you really want to get all hot and bothered look up all of the threads on this subject put them alllll together. and you can have Archie bashing party, wait,didn't we do that already?

"I will dig privy's until they stop me with guns"

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Dig while the diggin's good.. there's not much time.. nothing can stop the builders and archies and feds, oh my!

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
agrounds1