Recent underwater find

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Hello everyone...[:)]

Now that I can use the camera, I'll show you an item I found a month or so ago while diving outside of the Navy Yard in Kittery, Maine. It was in a new area where I hadn't done too much diving before. I found some broken pieces of glass, common milks, a couple of common Carter's Inks, but I did catch a glimpse of an unusual shaped water pitcher[:eek:]

Xv64512.jpg

Attachments

• Xv64512.jpg
    Xv64512.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 52

capsoda

Reaction score
Very nice Wayne, [:D]Its a ships pitcher. The ships mess would have had several. The ring around the waste was so the pitcher could sit in its holder {a hole in a board or cubbert}and not tip over. My wife wants to see a pic of it cleaned up. As I said very nice.

DiggerBryan

Reaction score
What does UNS stand for.... United States Navy [8|] OR maybe doesn't it have anything to do with the navy. [&o]

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
Warren...

Thank you very much for the info...I knew it was some kind of special pitcher and that it must have been used for a larger number of people because of it's size as compared to a smaller family pitcher one would find... I should probably fill this up with water to find out what it holds... It looks like at least two quarts or more...[:-] Any ideas on the date?

Bryan... yes it is USN for the US Navy[:)] I found it outside the Portsmouth Naval Shipyard in Southern Maine in an old anchorage area[:)]

Wayne

capsoda

Reaction score
Wayne, The type of script used suggests pre 1900s.[:)] After the Spanish American War the lettering changed from monogram to written out script U.S.N. or USN. Reserch the makers name or maybe someone else has heard of them.[8|]

southern Maine diver

Reaction score
HeyWarren,

Thanks for all your help... it is most appreciated[:)] I have had no luck in researching the manufactures from the base of the pitcher, but I'll keep trying. Thanks again,

Wayne

Sam_MaineBottles

Reaction score
Hi Wayne -

Awesome find! Good luck with the cleaning, I'm sure those barnacles won't give in too easily. What do you use to loosen the little buggers? Looking forward to seeing the 'after' picture.

Later - Sam

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cehobson