Recommend me an ACL book

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

celerycola

Reaction score
My books cover only embossed bottles and would not interest someone concentrating on acl's.

Regarding that big bucket of worms . . .

I don't own the coveted acl books. If the Painted Label Collectors okayed it I would assist with scanning someone's copies and creating pdf's (readable on a computer) and as epub files (readable on a Nook, Kindle, iPad, etc.).

If the club gets reorganized the books could be distributed on a cd as a benefit of membership. Cost per member would be pennies. Print copies could be sold through Cafe Press which requires no money up front. People would buy copies on the Cafe Press web site and they would print and ship the books to the purchaser then send a monthly check to the club. That takes the burden off volunteers handling everything.

If the files for #4 are available I could help getting that one together.

Dennis

T D

Reaction score
This one's not perfect and not exhaustive by any means, but it's probably the one you want. Unfortunately, like Pat said, it's near impossible to get anymore.

(I'm referring to the post by mgardziella)

This is the best, but as Pat has said, the 4th edition has caused quite a stir among us ACL collectors. Mine is worn to pieces but I still occasionally use it for reference. It is mostly a catalogue of acl pics with a list of what prices have been paid for examples in the past, but I stopped referring to that years ago. It is a good resource especially if you need to see a pic of what a particular bottle looks like. It does have some other useful info so I would recommend picking one up if possible- if you can find it.

As for the "stir" spend some time trying to search in the Soda section of this forum to see what we are talking about.

And even though prices can go crazy sometimes (in both directions) Ebay is still the best place to see what ACLs are out there across the world

mgardziella

Reaction score
Hey Matt,

Is that how this translates?

No, that translates to "there are three editions of the book, but the first two suck. There was supposed to be a fourth one coming out, and some people even put money down, but it never happened and that's why it's a can of worms." [:D]
My translation was coming from "if you don't have one now you probably never will."

morbious_fod

Reaction score
Here it is, the post from The Soda Fizz-PSBCA facebook page. This was posted in July 2010.

"Regarding the new book. Many have prepaid for it and if circumstances hadn't happened the way they did, it would have been printed ages ago. Currently, the photos have been lost, along with their information. IF they are retrieved, we can proceed as planned and get the book out soon. Otherwise, I will have to re-request them and begin over. Let's hope they can be retrieved. The rest of the book is ready. K"

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey Kid ~

I had the pleasure of meeting Rick Sweeney about four years ago at his home here in the San Diego area. He was kind enough to share with me his amazing collection of acls that totaled about 400 bottles at the time, and were nicely displayed from floor to ceiling in one room. I also got two copies of his book, one of which he signed for me. He said during my visit for me to "drop by anytime." Which I never did and not sure he still lives at the same address. But I do recall he had at least one and possibly several "boxes" of his Third Edition book. I believe I still have his phone number. If so, I will give him a call one of these days (soon) and see what the status might be regarding the books. But please allow me a ittle time to work on this. I will report back here just as soon as I find out whether he still lives in San Diego or not. By the way, I heard through the grapevine that he sold his entire collection of acls, but have not been able to confirm it as yet.

I'll be back.

Bob

P.S. ~ I read your "New Year's Desert Story." I didn't post a comment, but want to say now that I enjoyed it a great deal. Great stuff!

E3F4C5242C6B46DBB099905F08A0607A.jpg

Attachments

• E3F4C5242C6B46DBB099905F08A0607A.jpg
    E3F4C5242C6B46DBB099905F08A0607A.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 73

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
P.S. ~ P.S.

I forgot to mention that during my visit to Rick Sweeney's home he literally "gave" me the bottle pictured below. In fact, he had a whole bunch of duplicates and told me to take any one I wanted. And when I selected the "Lockhart," he said I got the best one of the lot, which I didn't even realize at the time until he mentioned it. He was/is a very generous guy, and I will always treasure both the bottle and the book he gave me on that most memorable day back in 2007.

Bob

6F96ADA922514E6EAC43E40A4423B489.jpg

Attachments

• 6F96ADA922514E6EAC43E40A4423B489.jpg
    6F96ADA922514E6EAC43E40A4423B489.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 76

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
This is in Rick's acl book ...

0E46A13561894C7F8B0C47278B950394.jpg

Attachments

• 0E46A13561894C7F8B0C47278B950394.jpg
    0E46A13561894C7F8B0C47278B950394.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 71

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Hey Kid ~

I just spoke with Rick's wife on the phone. She is going to have Rick call me. But not sure when that will be. All I know for sure is that he still has back copies of his book(s). But whether they are available for sale or not, I don't know. I will report back here just as soon as I've had the opportunity to speak with Rick personally.

Later.

Bob

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles