Recommended Bottle Book

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

quicksilver

Reaction score
Hello,
I am looking for a good reference book on bottles. I primarily collect at old farmhouses in Wisconsin. Let me know your thoughts on the best reference guide for bottles. Thank you.

Matt

GuntherHess

Reaction score
There are two Wisconsin bottle books listed here...
http://www.antiquebottles.com/books.html
But i think they are just for sodas or mineral waters.

Its difficult to recommend a single general reference for bottle collecting. Most of the better bottle books specialize in the various bottle catagories, bitters, medicines, food, fruit jars, inks, poisons, etc etc ....

As a general reference you could pick up a copy of Kovels or Jim Megura's price guides.
Since those books try to cover everything they arent very comprehensive. I personally find they can be vague and have quite a few errors. The prices listed in those guides are very rough indications of value.

You would probably learn more about your bottles posting them in this forum than from many of the books out there.

Figure out what types of bottles you are finding the most or the ones you have the hardest time identifying and try to get books for those type bottles first.

trussin

Reaction score
Hey Q,
I couldnt agree with G more. Save your money on books and post here. You'll get mutiple opinons from buyers. After you figure out what you like best...buy a specific book on bitters or meds or fruit jars or whatever you collect. But always come back here. There isnt anyplace better. Joe B

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyH