Redware crock and chinese bowl dug in Baltimore privy

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

herndonbottles

Reaction score
Red, Thanks for the info. The Brunks Auction site have sold a lot of chinese export or chinese style bowls and I saw the one that went for six figures.
Matt, You may be right on the piece maker's mark, that had not occurred to me. This would be to keep track of how many pieces a person made or decorated. English marks that I have seen have some type of crest or other emblem (like the mark for ironstone, etc.). The bowls on the auction site, all have bright colors like yellows and reds. This one has just a little yellow and no red. Was this made in China for export or English/European made Chinese export?
-Peter

baltbottles

Reaction score
Peter,
Your Tea bowl is whats called Salopian Transferware. This type of transfer printed ware was made in england and is the earliest type generally found in privies of the east cost. The earliest pieces dating to the late 1770s are generally characterized by an all blue transfer. By 1800 the use of hand applied color over black or brown transfer printed scenes becomes common place. This type of transfer printed decoration can be found on most all forms of tea ware and dinner ware. I'd date your tea bowl to circa 1800-1810 at the latest. If you get a chance post some pictures of the slipware pieces.

Chris

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bricri2