Rehashing an old subject.Supercharge the forum

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
ORIGINAL: Steve/sewell

Do you think they own shoes?

I have a pair I put on when I need to go into town.[:D] That railroad gravel is tough on the feet.....LoL, I spend alot of time trying to find free or inexpensive, but fulfilling activities for Lauren and I to do together. I know sweating it till the next grocery trip. I'm not cryin' poor, but that just happens to be my reality right now, I'd sure hate to lose my option of coming here, but I was under the impression that we were in the midst of an economic crisis right now, and since I'm accustomed to making do with things the way they are, I would have to be against a suggestion of any kind of fee. If I could swing a few bucks for Roger,....I'd have a neat little "supporter" icon by my user name, He certainly deserves it and god knows I'm on here enough.[;)] JMHO,.....J.B.

cyberdigger

Reaction score
Did any of you ever get ice-cream from a Haagen Dazs ?? I thought that was the sheet where it comes to ice~cream... hard to find a franchise these days, tho

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
I wasnt trying to stop people from using the forum the way they have been,my honest intention was to make this web site shine.[:eek:]
I wish I could help you Joe or any member right now struggling financially because I know you and your wife and a lot of the members are good people.
The member fee was only for the upkeep and software enhancement.This is a good place and the last thing I wanted to do was rock the forum boat.Forget the fee sorry I ever brought it up.You know in reality there could come the day this forum would end because of a lack of funds to run it.Or the company hosting the site going through tough times could not stay in business.Hey I fired some people up maybe the contributions will come from this.You and Lauren keep keepin on things will turn around soon keep the faith.Jamie keep the class warfare jokes to a minumum OK PLEASE if you dont I'll slam the Beatles some more[:D]

cyberdigger

Reaction score
chimpsembracedcropped.jpg

JOETHECROW

Reaction score
Northwestern Pa. (Near scenic Lake Perfidy)
Steve, no offense was taken nor assumed implied...... It's all good, and I understand your point....Thanks for the kind words...As far as Ice cream, huh?,....I'll have to watch it now when Laur suggests we go out for a ride to the eye doctor,...."Hey Joe,...isn't that an aqua medicine bottle up ahead?....can you just hop out and go check darling?"[:D] (Personally I prefer Ben and Jerrys Chocolate Peanut butter cup") Good stuff!

morbious_fod

Reaction score

This is a glass website when you arrive at it and the page loads you feel you are in the deep end of a built-in pool.There is too much aqua blue and not one picture of a bottle to be found..Morb there are 25 categorys existing now in which I have already included some of them.Forget the membership fee look at the following web sites. http://www.Oldsouthjerseyglass.com and forum member Mike George's website http://www.bottleshow.com The sites are warm and friendly looking and eye appealing.

Could the forums do with a face lift? Certainly, I would be the first to agree. Now as for the comparisons of a forum to two actual websites, would be like comparing a farm truck to a sports car, they are two completely different types of web presences. A forum is a place where people come to discuss a chosen subject and every one I have been on are very utilitarian looking, with some color variations, and maybe some decoration in the background. A dedicated website to a subject is a more artful form, where the content is strictly controlled by the creator of the site and very little effect is meted out to the visitor. As I said the site could use some freshing up but no amount of revamping is going to turn a forum into a dedicated website.

morbious_fod

Reaction score

I wasnt trying to stop people from using the forum the way they have been,my honest intention was to make this web site shine.[:eek:]

We understand what your intentions were good, but at some point you have to realize that people don't like change, especially when that change involves money. A good example, the State of Franklin Bottle club in Johnson City, Tn. used to post their newsletters online for non-members to read. A few months ago they decided that they needed to stop, because people were just coming to their site to read the newsletters, but not paying to join their club. So they decided to stop offering the newsletter and thinking that somehow people would pay the membership fee to read their rather sparse newsletter. I was one of those people who even though I wanted to join the club, their meeting times just aren't accessible for me with my work schedule. I also know of another who used to read it as well, and he decided to do without instead of paying as well. I am sure that hits on their website have dropped significantly since their decision.

A $10 charge is $10 that we don't have for that bottle we want. Maybe what is needed is a sister site where you can have an actual website where you can post pictures and have a pretty web designed page.

sandchip

Reaction score
I've mentioned this site before, www.artifactsguide.com/forum/index.php
because many bottle collectors also love arrowheads, and I hope you'll check it out. You have to register, but not pay, to visit and enjoy. This site underwent a makeover a couple of years ago and nobody fussed about contributing 25 bucks a year to help out. And guess what? You don't or can't help out? You still get to enjoy the site, post pictures, ask (and have answered) questions. Poor folks are just as welcome as anybody else. There is a Supporter's Section where the administrator posts pictures of exceptional artifacts usually seen at shows, but believe me, you see plenty of great stuff, even if you can't help out. We even have a Daily Bible Verse thread for everybody to enjoy (the first thing I go to in the morning, because I'm the first to acknowledge that this wretch doesn't deserve even one of the many of God's blessings). This addition seems to help greatly in setting and maintaining an amicable atmosphere among members, where things rarely get out of hand, yet everybody has plenty of fun. Of course, once in awhile a trouble maker surfaces, but if he wants to hang around, he'll clean up his act, or he's banned, period. Cussing and insults are not tolerated regardless of how great a collection you may have or how knowledgeable you are. And the revamped site is flourishing, and adding members most every day. And check out Point Types of the Deep South. Nearly a hundred point types for everyone to enjoy sharing and learning about what they have. Free. So 25 or so bottle types shouldn't be a problem. One newcomer was/is in very bad health but loves the hobby, so Mr. Dowdy, "Hernandoman", our administrator gave him a free membership. This summer has been rough with a heat index of 100+ every day. This guy was living in southern Alabama with no AC on top of an already miserable medical condition, so we started taking donations and with God's help, our bunch of rednecks raised enough in short time to install a new central unit for him and his family. Made me realize how very blessed I am to be able to dig, wade, crawl, stoop, and climb. I'm sure that Mr. Dowdy will be more than happy to answer any questions concerning what would be involved in improving this great bottle site. So, lighten up on brother Steve. The dude means well, and change ain't always bad.

Steve/sewell

Reaction score
Thanks Jimbo well spoken we will still need a few more members to have a simple debate.Lets see there's you and I against 10463 other registered members here at the this forum.I hear we are waiting for the returns from the fourth district to put us over the top.
The election is still to close to call.WAIT JUST IN news from the fourth distric two more voters have said yes brining our total to
four members a little shy of the neccesary votes needed to beak a fillabuster proof majority.I guess the candidates didnt run on a platform backed by the majority of the members.All kidding aside your site looks real good from here.

beendiggin

Reaction score
I agree that change is sometimes for the better, and you can't please everyone when that time comes. Does the forum need a change? Not necessarily. It is working...but could it be more attractive or searchworthy? Sure, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I like it the way it is, because I'm used to it. There's something nostalgic about it. If it changed, however, I would gladly change with it. A small fee from members each year wouldn't be much to ask. You don't have to call it a fee.....pretend you're a politician and call it something fancy and appetizing. Then again,when something is free, I just accept it for what it is. When I'm paying, I'm more than likely have a criticism of it.

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Flipper93