repaired bottles, the sequel

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bearswede

Reaction score
This is a saratoga-type mineral water that hails from a town near me in western MA... A Haskins with a small basal chip just sold at one of the big 4 online auctions for around $850...

Mine had a flat, nickel-sized clam-shell flake off the base toward the front of the bottle... It displayed ok, but the missing glass was noticeable on close inspection, and quite obvious when the bottle was turned over, exposing the base...

Sq48351.jpg

Attachments

• Sq48351.jpg
    Sq48351.jpg
    46.2 KB · Views: 120

bearswede

Reaction score
Here's the base... The repair is at the top... You can see that the glass at the base is naturally undulous, and the repair fits right in...

Vt57810.jpg

Attachments

• Vt57810.jpg
    Vt57810.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 126

bearswede

Reaction score
Here's (perhaps) a better photo of the bottom front...

Ec87827.jpg

Attachments

• Ec87827.jpg
    Ec87827.jpg
    55.6 KB · Views: 135

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Hey Bear...

Repaired or not that is a beautiful bottle ..I see why that other one sold for so much...of course I am partial to green bottles...if you want you can will me that bottle..snicker snicker!

Keep on huntin'..

The Doc...[X(]

bearswede

Reaction score
Hey Doc...

Thanks... If my wife, kids or dog don't want it, or I don't sell it at the Little Rhody Bottle Show this weekend, or at some show in the future, or on ebay...it's yours!!!!

When I was diggin' bottle dumps back in the 70's in Belchertown, MA, I dreamed of finding a Haskin's... Now I do my "diggin'" on ebay, and this baby popped up at a price I couldn't afford to pass up...

Say, do you have one of those early, crude black glass Hostetter's kickin' around the house you don't need anymore???

Ron

bearswede

Reaction score
hi taz...

I actually have a beautiful honey amber "hoss" , shiney glass like liquid amber, with L&W and 4 dots embossed on the base... it has what appear to be a series of scratches, but the more I look at them, the more they look more like in-manufacture flaws that were manifested at the surface of the glass...

anyway, I've been salivating at the crude, black-glass "hoss"es that have been floating by on ebay, just out of reach (of my pocketbook, i.e.)...

Ron

drjhostetters

Reaction score
Wow...

Where have I been? Is it really the 30th of Forever now? Guess I didn't expect a reply to my silly statement...

And alas the only true Dr. J. bottle I have is a medium amber...it was my very first dig find about 30 years ago (thus my Forum "handle"), (I dug a case of twelve, several amber, a few clear and only the one embossed...I gave all but one amber and one clear to friends..kept the embossed one naturally.)

Keep on diggin' and lookin'...

The Doc...[X(]

kastoo

Reaction score
Do you repair bottles? I have one that is not valuable enough to repair by most folks standards but I want to anyway. I wish I knew how. I have 2 bottles, a broke off top and a broke off bottom that I want to make one bottle out of. It is a straightside coke.

this is the top: http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/bottles/bottles_config.pl?read=9067

this is the bottom: http://www.thetreasuredepot.com/cgi-bin/bottles/bottles_config.pl?read=9066

What would you charge to do it?

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aarhar75