REYNOLDS INDIAN COLAGOGUE/NEW YORK

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Hi all.... I believe this is a rarer pontiled med. The only listing I've found so far is in Digger O'Dell's. The spelling I've given is as is on the bottle. Anyone have any ideas on how rare and what it might be worth?

Thanks, John.

David E

Reaction score
Checked under Reynolds and only one there Probally not your bottle but hear it is anyway.
REYNOLDS COUT SPECIFIC ENFIELD
An Endfield England product introducted Ca. 1830 Agents included E. Fougers &Co New York. Advertised 1897
clear 3 1/2"x ?.

Checked by city name Colagogue ? none, checked by Indian none, checked Fougers & Co, none.

must be rare
Dave

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Thanks for your efforts Dave. I figure it's something a little special as it's in none of the regular price guides. Digger O'Dell has it listed, but without any price or rarity info. I know it's uncommon because I've never seen it on ebay... or at least, I don't remember having ever seen it. Dug it up on Saturday; it was one of the few survivors.

Best, John.

bne74honda

Reaction score
Bluegrass,

found more info for you on Colagogue. It's not a place. Turns out that the spelling has changed over time or maybe from region to region. Now there's an H after the C. [&:]Anyhow, as you'll see from the following pages, the reference to INDIAN on the bottle is quite significant. These first 2 items (numbered 23 and 3) were taken from a site on Peruvian Herbs [8D] in use from ancient Mayan times. At the bottom is the Medical definition.

Brian [8|]

23.- CONDURANGO (Marsdenia condurango, M. reichenbachii) Gonobulos condurango Triana : Asclepiadaceas. â€Condurangoâ€, “Tucasilluâ€. Wild climber bush. The decoction of stem and bark as an analgesic, carminative and tonic. Hemostatic and against ulcer, hemorrhages when drinking the bark decoction. Anti-Snakebites. The stem decoction as a gastralgic. In dyspepsia cases to drink the stem decoction. It is also used against chronic anemia. The bark and stem infusion against cancer (stomach) [:'(] , indigestion, appetite loss, as a colagogue.

Active principles: conduranguine alfa, conduranguine beta, tannic acid.
Condurango improves digestion by stimulating the production of saliva and digestive juices. It has also shown an ability to kill tumors in animals.
It has been also used by Natives for Appetite loss and Indigestion.
The part of Condurango that is used in remedies is the dried bark of branches and the trunk of the tree.

How to Prepare:
Condurango can be made into a tea. Add 1.5 grams (about one-quarter teaspoonful) of crushed Condurango to cold water and bring to a boil. Cool the tea, then strain.

3.- AGRACEJO (Berberis vulgaris) Berberis sp.: Wild. Berberidaceas. â€Agracejoâ€, “agracilloâ€, â€berberoâ€, â€puchka-puchkaâ€. Wise of the Jungle use it against gallstones to macerate 15 g of bark during one day and then drink one cup 3 times a day (between meals). As estomachal tonic to infuse the bark and drink it 3 times a day. As an anticostiveness to drink the berrues decoction. The whole plant contain alchaloids: palmatine, columbamine, berberine, ixiberberine, berbamine; tannins, resins and waxes. The fruits contain vitamin C, sugar, acids and minerals. The bark of the root is used as a stomach tonic and colagogue, for chronic dyspepsia. The alkaloid berberine acts on the uterine musculature, it is toxic in big doses. The leaf and bark must be used under the medical supervision, in excessive doses “agarcejo produces dizzies, vomits, diarrheas, nasal hemorrhages and renal irritation".

Medical dictionary Definition of 'CHOLALOGUE'

1. An agent that promotes the flow of bile into the intestine, especially as a result of contraction of the gallbladder.
2. Relating to such an agent or effect.

Synonym: cholagogic.
Origin: chol-+ G. Agogos, drawing forth

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Thanks for all of that!!! I knew that cholagogue was a cure--the bottle comes from New York. It's interesting how the spelling is different: I've always heard cholagogue, whereas this one is colagogue. Must have been real yummy!!

John.

Bluegrass

Reaction score
Well we finally got a hold of someone who is in the know about these things, and he says it's extremely rare... only a handful known to exist. There's an ad for it from 1845, so we're guessing it dates to about 1845-47 (as there were so few found). Never would have guessed....!

John.

BottlesandMore

Reaction score
The Reynolds is a very rare bottle. There was not one sold in the fabulous Greer sale, and if perfect in condition, it would command many hundreds of dollars at auction.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4