royal arms

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

mojo7200

Reaction score
i am trying to find out some information on this bottle. does anyone know anything about it, where i can find more information, etc. my parents bought it at auction, they do not have a computer, so i am trying to do some research for them. any help would be much appreciated!

Attachments

• 65A7DC9D479545FD998A7A4CA158E7D1.jpg
    65A7DC9D479545FD998A7A4CA158E7D1.jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 58

mojo7200

Reaction score
here is another photo of this bottle

Attachments

• 55F532E800A04FE1BCBC8002A02EF0F3.jpg
    55F532E800A04FE1BCBC8002A02EF0F3.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 57

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Welcome mojo, the company suggests this to me but better pics would be nice. It's a decanter of some age I guess but I just cant make the determination from those.
http://www.pre-pro.com/midacore/view_vendor.php?vid=ORD6115

8DB48E3D14BC48368E2BFC3442993C79.jpg

Attachments

• 8DB48E3D14BC48368E2BFC3442993C79.jpg
    8DB48E3D14BC48368E2BFC3442993C79.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 42

mojo7200

Reaction score
thank you so much, i will see what i can find from here. if you find out anything more, please let me know. did you see the second picture i posted of the top of the bottle?

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
Yes, that's what told me it was a decanter type. Try posting a full size 640X800 pic. If you need help go here or ask. I'll see what I can do.

Plumbata

Reaction score
Hello Jo, Welcome!

I am a collector of Peoria, IL bottles so was quite surprised when I saw what your parents found. Surprised and a tad jealous, lol.

It is a Back-Bar decanter, an attractive container used to entice bar patrons to consume their products. I have both local bottle publications in hand and I do not see this particular brand listed for the distillery, though at that time there were many many different whiskey "brands" each with their own associated back-bar bottles.

It would date to roughly 1910, though the company was around between 1904 and apparently 1917, according to that link. I had always assumed that they folded as a result of prohibition, not beforehand. Anyway, the decanter could have been made any time between then. I have a 1910 catalog from that company somewhere, so if I can find it I can look for that brand of whiskey and perhaps better date the bottle.

Since Peoria was one of the distillery capitals of the world before prohibition, there are hundreds of different varieties of back bar bottles from this town out there. I know of one collector of Peoria decanters who may be interested, and I myself am interested as well. If your parents are looking to flip it, I wouldn't sell it for less than 50.00 but it may be worth more. I say 50.00 because I just bought a different Peoria back-bar decanter, likewise not listed in the book, for that price.

mojo7200

Reaction score
hi eric

thank-you so much for your information thus far. i have never done anything like this before, forum/blogs, etc., so i was quite surprised to get such quick information on this bottle. i am so excited to tell me parents the news so far, they will be thrilled. btw, i love your screen name, cowseatmaize!! may i ask how you came up with that, do you raise angus, dairy, etc? just inquiring, if you don't want to say that is ok, i understand. thank - you again! i will try and get a full-size photo from them this weekend, they are coming to visit. they are a little old school, no computer, but do have cell phones, so getting things accomplished are a little harder, but we get there.

mojo7200

Reaction score
wow, thanks for the info. i have not had a lot of time, but i did check out the website provided by eric above. i plan to do a little more research with that information. i am not sure where exactly they got the bottle, or what auction, etc., but i can maybe find out if you are interested, so it might lead you in the direction of finding one for yourself or others of the kind. i am going to try and get a full-size photo from them this weekend, so i will post that later. thanks so much for the info thus far, they are going to be thrilled. are you from the peoria area, if i might ask, since you collect peoria bottles? my folks are from that area too, a small town just south of there. ok, i will look for more info and be glad for any more that you or anyone else can provide. thank-you so much for your help!

Plumbata

Reaction score
Hey there, you are most welcome for the info!

Yes, I am a resident of Peoria, I started collecting local bottles back in grade school, but when I found a huge and awesome old dump 4 years ago, loaded with peoria bottles, I got pretty serious about collecting all the ones I could lay my hands on.

Is the town your parents are from Bartonville, by chance? If so I know of some old dumps in the area, if they ever want to dig some bottles.

I'll let you know if i learn anything more about the bottle. Beautiful piece, it is.

mojo7200

Reaction score
Thanks again for all of your help. My parents are from Tremont. I am not sure if they would be interested, but I will certainly ask and get back to you.

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jiharris