Ry's 2007 privy dig posts w/ guest diggers!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlediger

Reaction score
Ok now the story for the 2nd day. Me and my buddy only had the last foot or foot and a half to dig but that took all day because it was just so loaded with glass and pottery we had to dig very slow and carefully. Every square inch was just LOADED. we started the day with some nice pontil puffs and a real nice hing mold med from philly of the top of my head it was Cherry Tar and Horehound. After about an hour I found the heart breaker of the hole, a broken historical flask, but not just any historical flask, it was citron in color! It has a large dog and a hunter in the back ground. I was devastated to see that thing come out of the hole broken. Someone told me they saw the last one in that color sell for over 7,000! We scraped out some more nice bottles most of being broken, the majority of the bottles were along the sides and the stoneware as in the middle. The take from the 2nd day was about 1/2 dozen iron pontil squats half local and half from philly, tons of OP puffs and meds, a very nice 8 sided OP ink from Wheeling VA, 6 marbles, tons of pipes, an OP Washington/Taylor Historical flask embossed dyotteville glass works, an amazing child's size chamber pot from the 1830s, a couple more OP umbrella inks, a Glazed red ware jug, a wonderful 1840ish slipware pie plate with yellow decoration, and im sure a bunch more Im forgetting. The broken stuff off the top of my head that I can remember, was another broken washington/talyor flask, citron dog and hunter flask, summer/winter tree calabash OP flask, and Iron pontil Sarsaparilla (huge bottle) a ton of broken squats all iron pontiled, tons of embossed OP meds, dozens and dozens of redware pots, jugs, plates, bowls all broken.

This hole was just amazing, we did get some very nice stuff but like I said the majority was broken, the bottle was full of rocks, bricks, and tons of redware all perfect objects to brake those wonderful bottles!

I will post some more pictures in a little bit of some of the stuff I brought home.

Take care everyone and Happy digging!
Ryan

RICKJJ59W

Reaction score
Wow I hate when that happens all them broken flasks! But shouldn't the IP sodas survive ?? The sodas are sapose to brake the thin walled flasks, that's how it is with us, the sodas and IP beers make it, and the flasks take the hit, UN less they broke them all because they where drunk! We got a few 1860s and a 50 lined up, to probe, spring has sprung, good luck in the pits. Rick

lifes the pit's and i love it

bottlediger

Reaction score
thanks rick, yeah I was very suprised we found as many broken squats as we did, they were all broken off at the top I think they broken them before they chucked them down the pit.

Ry

bottlediger

Reaction score
here are some pics for everyone, ill take better ones later
IMG_4641.jpg

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter