Ry's 2007 privy dig posts w/ guest diggers!!!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

bottlediger

Reaction score
ORIGINAL: cobaltbot

Alright bud! Way to get this thread back on track! Love the finds!!

Steve

Steve, thanks man. Im glad to see your getting out and digging! Hey where did you get that Hair bottle from York?!? Ive always wanted to find one of those :) Some day hopefully

Digger Ry

Jim

Reaction score
Sweet dig, Ry. That beautiful dark puce is a GOOD color for a Costar's! Costars in general are much scarcer than their Lyons counterparts (which also come in some sweet colors), so that is definitely a good score for you.

Those deep pits make you work for the goods, so I'm glad to see that you did well on this one. ~Jim

pupman

Reaction score
Hi Ryan,Congratulations on a great dig,I dig Brooklyn,N.Y. alot and many of my powders came from there.What you have is one of the many competitors of Emanuel Thomas lyon(famous for his Lyons powder among other things).Henry R. Costar sold insect powders at the same time period as Lyons ,early 1850's and his advertizements became heated battles with Lyons ,who beside selling the product straight to Druggists ,Sundries and the like had enlisted the help of Demas Barnes and John D. Park who sold a variety of these sort of products including Drakes plantation Bitters.Although not terribly rare , the Costars bottles are seen with less frequency than Lyons and maybe he wasn't quite as successful as the "professor Lyons". Some insect powders are known from only one specimen such as my emerald green O.P Meyers Destroyer.One thing they basically all had in common is that they were produced in New York and to a lesser extent Brooklyn.
At this point,the only thing I collect is insect powders,truly my specialty having about 50-60 or so of them.Please let me know if you would be interested in selling it to me as I will pay very fairly for it.Also,please let me know if you have any other specific questions about this or any other insect powder and I will e glad to help.congratulations on digging a nice one! Best Regards,Kev

appliedlips

Reaction score
Good pics and story Ryan.You guys certainly got some nice stuff for moving all that dirt.That Costar's is a very cool find.Good luck on the next one,Doug

bottlediger

Reaction score
holycrap zane! Havnt heard from you in forever, how the heck are you. Yep still getting out, doing the army thing but digging on the weekends. Id like to see some OH digging pics get out and diggggggggg or im coming out and making you dig some more flasks lol. Hey ill call you sometime soon, im busy tonight writing papers blaww...

Digger Ry

Digger George

Reaction score
A legendary dig! Here's a before pic of the mess. Yo Ry send the after pic of our restoration, it was beautiful.
DSC09358.jpg

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BrokenGlassNDrivewayRocks