Sacramento Druggist

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
Just got this one in the mail. Freakin sweet. Found this online, any info on the bottle?

This pharmacy bottle is rectangular, made of clear glass and embossed vertically with a stylized "ACT" and "A C TUFTS/DRUGGIST/SACRAMENTO". Albert C. Tufts first arrived in Sacramento in 1869. He began his career in the drug business as a clerk, and in 1879, he opened his own pharmacy. He remained in the drug business until his death in 1898.

pups004.jpg

RED Matthews

Reaction score
Hi CanYaDigIt; I didn't realize that you were that new to bottle collecting. If you have read my homepage you know about my collecting history. There I have also mad reference to my favorite and most appreciated books regarding the old glass collecting manufactured methods. Because the bottle makers wanted to protect their job security they didn't always tell everyone their secrets of how-to-do-it to the world or outsiders; they only taught their team members what they needed to know to help him make bottles.
I will have to go back in my files to see what all we have had interaction about. If there is anything to be learned, you can certainly gain a lot here on this Forum. If you want to PM me about anything regarding bottle forming be my guest.
I like the embossed art work on this bottle, it is obviously a good investment.
RED Matthews

Wilkie

Reaction score
I think I have 2 different sizes of this bottle. I like Sac. meds and have been collecting them for a couple years now. I just got a new Sacramento med from dabeel this past weekend.

Wilkie

Reaction score
It has a rarity value of 2, which in Millers book means it's scarce. 16-20 known examples.

Wilkie

Reaction score
That's the thing about Millers book, he does not list sizes, he does list varients in spelling or shape, etc.

The one I have is the same size as yours. I thought I had two but I could only find the one.

CanYaDigIt

Reaction score
CHECK THIS OUT!!!!! I guess the one I had was the bigger one, unless there's another size. The smaller one was at a local shop I went to today. It has a lip chip, but I had to get it. It looks like it will clean up pretty well too.

sac001.jpg

sac002.jpg

Lordbud

Reaction score
Nice find, a local druggist in an antique shop. The antique stores round these parts are more like what we used to call "junk shops", like they
stock their stuff from the local Goodwill...

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carpenter