SAN DIEGO, CA. BOTTLE SHOW (June 12, 2010)

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
mr.fred ~

Mike Bryant's display was killer - especially for us San Diego natives. The soda bottle in the center lower row is a "Bludwine," and Mike said it was the only one known embossed with, and from San Diego.

Morb ~ Thanks for stopping by. Come to Southern Cal one of these days and I will take you to one of the Rattlesnake dens I know of. They are just bust'n with rattlers right now! [:mad:]

madman ~ Thanks. There was another Sun Set Beverages back east somewhere. But they spelled it with two "seperate" words. I wonder which one that deco bottle was from? I couldn't find a photo of any kind.

SPB

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Bob -

You lucky bastard! I am so jealous of your new Sunset!

I hiked my butt off in the hot sun for almost 6 hours...........almost gave myself heatstroke. Will post my haul later.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Cali ~

I can't wait to see what you found yesterday. (By the way, I never heard of a lucky **** "dog" spelled with four letters). Lol [:D]

Regarding your comment about six hours of heatstroke, I've been there - done that - numerous times, but as long as I'm finding something I don't seem to mind it so much. It's those days when I get skunked when I wish I had stayed home and watched cartoons on tv. [&:]

When I bought the Sunset bottle, I almost felt guilty because I couldn't help but think I was stealing a bottle that was intended for you. If not for your thread on the subject, I probably wouldn't have paid it any attention. But now, thanks to you, it's one of my favorite bottles. Someone, (maybe the two of us eventually) needs to put together a list of all the various California only soda bottles. Especially the acl ones that are my favorites. I believe there is already a partial list of the early embossed ones, but I have yet to find one on acls.

I will look forward to seeing what you found.

SPB

By the way, we had another earthquake last night. Did you feel it? It was at 8:09 PM and measured 4.9. It was centered near Borrego Springs, not too far south from where I believe your old road is located. It was on a different fault line than the Easter Sunday quake, and was the strongest one I have felt since then. It rattled my bottles pretty good, but fortunately caused no damage.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
mr.fred ~

I spoke with Mike Bryant this morning about his "Bludwine" bottle, and he said it dates from around 1919. I also did a little research of my own, and discovered there is a ton of Bludwine stuff on the internet, and that it was quite popular in the South. Which leads me to believe there must be a number of members here who collect Bludwine. I haven't searched the ABN archives yet, but intend to soon. In the meantime, here's one of the sites I came across that might be of interest to others. It's also a great site for various other brands.

SPB

Link : http://www.angelfire.com/tn/traderz/bludwine.html

celerycola

Reaction score
Bludwine was bottled in several California towns but the big concentration of bottlers was from Texas East to New York. Some of the Northern bottles are embossed "No Drugs" "No Alcohol." The hourglass shape bottle was design patented.

F41B0620F54A4FE8962CE1D1018BBAD1.jpg

Attachments

• F41B0620F54A4FE8962CE1D1018BBAD1.jpg
    F41B0620F54A4FE8962CE1D1018BBAD1.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 71

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
celerycola ~ morb

Thanks guys ... and now that I have succeeded in side-tracking this thread (which I don't mind a bit) this is probably as good a time as any to inquire about something I have been looking into for quite some time now. Does anybody know of a website(s), or even a book for that matter, that deals specifically with the history of "Small Town" soda bottlers? I know morb and others have done this to some extent for their particular areas, but where is the magic link and/or book that covers a variety of these bottlers from coast to coast? I guess I'm just getting lazy in my old age, and tired of clicking and scrolling through hundreds/thousands of websites and still don't find what I am looking for. It gets frustrating to the point where I rarely even look anymore, and rely on the members here to babysit me. So if you have the magic beans that will grow me a "Small Town Soda Bottlers" beanstalk, I will gladly make a gift to you of the golden egg that waits at the end of the rainbow ... er, wait a minute, I think I have my fairy tales mixed up!?

Thanks a lot,

"BOBANDTHEBEANSTALK" [:D]

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
Bob -

I spelled a 7-letter word that starts with a "b" and it turned it into a ****-letter word! I didn't know the forum had that kind of software.......guess I learned my lesson. Concerning my mild heatstroke I got, it's my own fault because I didn't slow down when I should have. I used to be on a survey crew 3 years ago and it wouldn't have phased me then, but now I am too out of shape!

At any rate, I was just messin' with you about the Sunset, I am glad that you found it and now own it. I was just thinking last night of all the little twists and turns last weekend that lead to me finding the broken Sunset in the first place.......then I joined here and the rest, as they say, "is history".

Didn't feel any earthquake, I think I'm too far north. Then again, I was a total space case last night. My "old road" is located in Ventura county.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Cali ~

Okay, fine. Now that we have that cleared up, and are beyond hurting each other's feelings, then you shouldn't mind my asking ... "Where in the **** is your new thread showing the "haul" you found yesterday?" Lol [:D]

BTW ... My four letter word starts with an "H"

SPB

TheCaliKid

Reaction score
I am working on it right now! I have about 35 pictures to post........gonna make it a nice thread and all.

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AlexTheBottleHunter