Saturday Digs

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Jim

Reaction score
After two months of rotten winter, I finally got to dig again yesterday. I went to the dump by the old railroad that I have been working in. The ground is still mostly frozen, but I was able to bust through the frost and pull out a few things. I got a neat amber strap-side flask (BIM), a salt bottle with a good top, a plain medicine and a common cylinder-shaped bottle. There was also a Ball jar lid, two silver spoons, and a piece of a red goblet. From what I can see, it was from a National Exposition in Philadelphia, 1899. I looked all around, but couldn't find any more of it. There were also more fragments from better 1880-1900 embossed bottles, suggesting that the best finds are still yet to come! I hope so. I don't know when I'll be able to get back, but I'll post when I do. Here are the finds after a good bath to remove the crud. Enjoy! Jim

Rp43104.jpg

Attachments

• Rp43104.jpg
    Rp43104.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 75

CanadianBoy

Reaction score
Nice to see someone getting out,might get out this week its gonna be MILD.
Course! I'll get up and there's 6" of snow.
Still its nice to see diggers out there digging.Nice finds!!.

madman

Reaction score
hey jim next time dig closer to the top and go deep mike

Jim

Reaction score
Thanks, everyone. It sure is nice to be able to dig again. From the shape of the red piece, it is (was) almost certainly a goblet.

I think I will try to start another new hole next time. The finds are scattered out and fairly shallow. I get down below a foot or so, and nothing but rocks! I'll find a bottle or two, then it dries up. There almost has to be a good pocket of bottles hidden somewhere. Some of the many fragments that I have been able to identify have included 1880s to 1920s medicines, early local sodas and a few common poisons. I have been digging at the base of the small hill, and haven't really done much at the top other than one hole near the very beginning. Thanks for the tip, Mike. I'll give the top another try towards the middle and go deep. I hope to dig again Saturday. Jim

madman

Reaction score
hey jim dumps can be wierd!! hmm whats underneath the rocks? theres got to be an old layer in there somwhere best of luck mike

Haldy

Reaction score
Jim:

Glad to hear that you still have some good digging to do! I'd still like to hook up with you sometime closer to spring when I'm up at our cabin at McAlisterville. (We communicated briefly earlier this fall.) Save some digging for me!

Haldy

P.S. How about those Nittany Lions and Pittsburgh Steelers!

Jim

Reaction score
Good to hear from you, Haldy. The more I think about it, I think there is MUCH more to this dump. Let me know when you'll be around and we can get together for a dig. I hope to dig there this weekend.

I'm quite pleased with our PA teams this year. Superbowl Champions! YES!! Maybe some of the Lions' and Steelers' good fortunes will rub off on our digging since we're fans. If I get to dig this weekend, I will post with the results. Jim

Haldy

Reaction score
Jim:

Good to hear from you again! I'll be passing through your area this week-end, as I'm headed to State College for a "guys" week-end with some of my old college buddies. The way my schedule is looking, I probably won't be getting up to our cabin until sometime in March or April. (Even then I'll need to get the OK from my "better half", who doesn't share the same fondness for bottles that I do.) Good luck with your continued digging and I'm anxious to see the pics of your "finds".

Haldy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sneaky Pete