SB goff's and other bottle. Golf Course dig.

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Vaderirl

Reaction score
I am a golf course superintendent on long island. about a week ago we began a construction project and found some bottles. I wish we could have dug further because there is alot more under an are we cant disturb. I know very little about bottles but want to learn more and start collecting. if anyone knows what any of the bottles are let me know please. i can always take a better picture of anything here. thanks!!

ok, I am on an iphone and dont know how to add photos, can someone help??

Vaderirl

Reaction score
c545eb9e.jpg

7217c3cd.jpg
p

Vaderirl

Reaction score
https://i1166.photobucket.com/albums/q620/vaderirl/7217c3cd.jp

Vaderirl

Reaction score
http://s1166.photobucket.com/albums/q620/vaderirl/?action=view&current=7217c3cd.jpg

cannibalfromhannibal

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the site....you have found an interesting dump site. It looks like a city style dump as it is all over the map in product and age. First off, the Goff's is clearly the most interesting to collectors, mostly for the embossing. It appeals to a number of collectors, mostly collectors of bottles with "Indian" embossed in the glass. There are "specialty" collectors who collect "Cures", "Remedys", Bitters", etc...also it is a "Syrup" and a "Purifyer" bottle, which some collect on a lesser degree. It also has quite a range of powers, from coughs to blood. Being a medicine collector at heart, I personally love it. Unfortunately, it lists for only about $10-15 as it is common. However, you couldn't pry it from my bony fingers for that little, especially if I dug it. That's the magic of digging old bottles yourself. It's the closest to finding pirate treasure most of us will ever get. Plus, the added knowlege and enjoyment of knowing you rescued it from a possible broken demise from some excavator and that you were the first person to touch it in over 100 years! If that doesn't stir your imagination, then you found the wrong hobby! Info on the Goff company is they started in 1885, in 1901 became Goff & Son's Co., and out of business after 1928, likely due to the stock crash of '29. Your bottle looks fairly crude with wavy glass often referred to as whittle marks, bubbles and other crudness in the glass. I would guess late 80's- early 90's. The other bottles are fairly more common and range in value to $5 each and under. Left to right as near as I can make out--Crown top beer, 1900-1915 with some embossing in circle near shoulder, large aqua one in front of beer, wine(?) possible turn mold (no seam line showing, mistaken by new collectors as freeblown), clear bottle behind wine, likely a vinegar bottle machine made (seam line runs over top of lip) from 1920's, no real collector value, dark green bottle in front, another turn mold wine, 1890's, aqua square bottle likely a root beer extract concentrate, possibly a medicine, toc (turn of century), Tall aqua behind that one likely a wine, short conical in front of dark green wine is a cone ink, 1890's-toc, round bottom bottle lying down likely ginger ale imported from England, also 1890's-toc, brown one next to round bottom is a strap side flask (more value if embossed with a company name or saloon), aqua one behind is a pickle or food jar, toc, two clear ones to side are unidentifiable medicines, and of course the cool Indian bottle. Hope this helps and keep hunting and good luck. It is an addicting hobby, so be fair warned! Jack

RIBottleguy

Reaction score
Welcome to the site! It definitely looks like a worthwhile dump to dig. Too bad you didn't have a good excuse to expand the excavation. You never know, but sometimes you just have to take what you can get!

Vaderirl

Reaction score
Thanks guys! My boss took all the goo stuff and this was my half. One day soon I will post some more of my finds.

Vaderirl

Reaction score
Found this guy this morning.
http://s1166.photobucket.com/albums/q620/vaderirl/?action=view&current=17c8d9c3.jpg

Penn Digger

Reaction score
Interesting shape for what seems to be perhaps a local drugist. Welcome and please keep the posts coming.

PD

Latest posts

Members online

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ROC.NYbottles