Scarce Glass Works Currency/scrip now listed!

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

Pontiled

Reaction score
Just thought I would let the guys and gals who are members know that I've just listed a pile of scarce 19th Century glass works currency and scrip on eBay. They date from 1813 to 1870(ish), so you may want to take a look at them. There are Manual Labor Bank notes from 1837-38 with T.W. Dyott's signature, Fislerville Glass Works, Salem Glass Works, etc., etc. I'm not looking for bids from you, I'm just letting you know and you can see what was used at the early glass works that we would love to have some bottles from.

Go to eBay and look for DUMFRIES for listings under obsolete currency or look for No. 8381566724 and then click on the place to see all of my listings. They're fascinating!

Keep the dirt moving! Those O.P.'s are hiding somewhere!

Pontiled

Reaction score
For example:

Scarce Vermont Glass Factory $2 Note, 1814 Item number: 8381567100

Starting bid: US $40.00

Time left: 6 days 4 hours
Item location: Henderson, North Carolina
United States

Ships to: United States
Shipping costs: Check item description and payment instructions or contact seller for details
Shipping, payment details and return policy

View seller's other items

Description

This is a scarce Vermont Glass Factory $2 note, dated 1814 and issued by the Farmers Bank of Troy N. York. It is guaranteed authentic. The Serial number is 876, so it was early in issuing. My photo processing software makes the note a little darker than the actual note. This is the issue that has the glass factory on the note. It is signed by Jones and Swift. The back is blank.

I have not graded this note due to its overall condition and the current marketing of notes and their grading runs a wide range, so that's why I leave it up to you. It has previously been graded as AU and I don't see any reason to argue with that grade. The paper is very thin.

This note can be yours with a winning appropriate bid. Shipping is $2.50, insured. Payment is accepted by personal check, cash, money order, or with Paypal.

Thanks for viewing this note. Mike, Author of many books and articles.

swizzle

Reaction score
So far 7 people have looked at you auction. Lets see if the helps you to boost those numbers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=8381567100&ru=http%3A%2F%2Fsearch.ebay.com%3A80%2Fws%2Fsearch%2FSaleSearch%3Fsofocus%3Dbs%26satitle%3D8381567100%26sacat%3D-1%2526catref%253DC5%26from%3DR7%26nojspr%3Dy%26pfid%3D0%26fsop%3D1%2526fsoo%253D1%26fcl%3D3%26frpp%3D50%26fvi%3D1

Jason

Pontiled

Reaction score
Thank you Jason. I really just wanted to let the group know about these pieces of currency/scrip since they are very much a part of what we collect. I've collected glass works currency for many, many years and find them very interesting. I hope that the other members find them as interesting as I have!

bottleboy311

Reaction score
Mike,

Pardon my ignorance but I only know about currency today they way businesses works today. What were these notes used for? Were they given out when someone loaned the company money? Did they use them for payments like we use checks today? Are they simular to a bond a corporation will issue today? Inquiring minds wants to know.

Lee

Pontiled

Reaction score
They were used in the same way that today's money is used, except for the scrip which was less than a dollar. Scrip often said they could be exchanged for $1.00 when presented in quantities of $1.00 or more. Some notes were primarily used at the "company store" but certainly all. Manual Labor Bank issued many different kinds of notes but being from Philadelphia, they circulated much like today's money.

However, much of the glass works notes were used to finance the company's operation. T.W. Dyott went bankrupt after much of the cash (glass works currency) failed.

Most of the currency/scrip was made illegal to manufacture, I believe, in 1862/1863 by Congress. Their main concern was to elliminate the change (Civil War tokens, etc.) but even some coins like them were made in 1864.

This is one of the main reasons I collected them.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bobbinc4