Searching?

Welcome to our Antique Bottle community

Be a part of something great, join today!

cowseatmaize

Reaction score
some are weird
Oh yes indeedie. We are what we are but always, we're willing to help.
The search issues are with the forum program and admin can't fix it. I belong to other forums and believe me, there are much worse. I could elaborate in volumes but I won't. One thing I've seen as a Firefox user anyway, the results always skip 365 of the newest days.

grugirl

Reaction score
That is interesting. I use Firefox and just performed an up to date search. Hmmm.. any chance of getting free updates for this program?

jelizabeth

Reaction score
Hi there,

I need to work on my profile!

So ... I am a collector of all kinds of things. 19th century trade cards and paper (billhead/letterhead, newspapers and journals, etc.), stereoviews, old photos, some roadside postcards and postcard folders, pre-1960 magazines and packaging, vintage valentines. I love old commerce-related ephemera and old signage. I love the illustration done for magazines and advertising 1900-1960 and I though I don't have a comic collection, I'm really interested in comic art 1910s-1960s. If I had money and lived in the midwest I'd no doubt collect more magazines (expanding into pulps) and I'd have a much bigger collection of antique books. (In fact if I lived in the midwest *all* my collections would be much larger!)

I guess to sum it up, I love vintage pop culture. :)

Given my passions (illustration, vintage packaging) it's probably not a surprise that where bottles are concerned, I collect ACL sodas, especially picture labels. I do want to get together a baseline collection of famous brands (Pepsi, Crush, NEHI, etc.) but right now most of my bottles of are of extinct brands not known to anyone outside of bottle collectors.

I have about 35 ACLs so far, and if I make it to the Houston bottle show this year I hope that number will significantly grow!

I do love other bottles (medicines especially) but I've only got around 10. I have to stop the collecting madness somewhere. The only digging I've done is at my folks' former home, an 1890 Queen Anne in California. In that lot we found quite a few bottles ... and an entire 1911 Ford Model T!!

Glad to meet you all ... I'm pretty "weird" to most people I meet who don't get my collecting interests, so I'm sure I'll fit right in. ;-)

JayBeck

Reaction score
Welcome to the forum Julia! I know all too well how tough it can be to limit what you collect as well as keeping the collection(s) reasonable. I collect all sorts of bottles but ACL sodas are what I actually try to collect, especially the brands that no longer exist. I'm sure everyone here would like to see some pictures of your collection when you get a chance. Since you joined the forum just a few days ago I'm sure you can tell that there is still a LOT to see here.

SODAPOPBOB

Reaction score
Julia ~

Welcome to the forum.

I'm just chiming in to say that I use Internet Explorer / Windows ... and also get 15 pages when I search both "amber" as well as "amber bottle."

By the way ... another search term for "chiming" is "ding-dong." So I guess I fit right in here with some others I know. Lol [sm=lol.gif]

Good luck searching, finding and collecting.

SPBOB

jelizabeth

Reaction score
Thanks, Jay, SPBOB :)

Yes, I've got to get to photographing my collection. Somehow I've only ever snapped a couple of quick pics. I am a student right now (career change) and in the midst of finals so it'll be a while before I'm back to photography, but I do have one image of a few of my bottles.

I don't have to explain the appeal of Lazy B or Lemmy ... or probably even the common but charming Colonial. The Botl-O isn't ultra exciting but it was the first ACL I bought in person (actually, sadly enough it is one of the few ACLs I've ever seen in Texas that was in remotely decent shape), and I picked up the Pep-Up as it's a San Antonio bottle, and very clean. I also favor it because I later found an old linen PC showing the plant where it was bottled. I love those cross-collection connections!

2776781047_566781578d_z.jpg

5655773984_cbd889ee06_z.jpg

More this summer ... and hopefully lots more browsing here!

JayBeck

Reaction score
That's a nice group of soda bottles and the postcard too! The Lazy B caught my eye right away because I live about 30 minutes away from the city where it was bottled. There is also a Lazy B blue and white label variation (pictured below) as well as 2 different Fox Beverages and Sep's Beverages from the same company in Fremont, Ohio, which all have nice picture labels and are all fairly common. I've always liked the Lemmy bottles as well, there are many variations of those. The Pep Up is neat, there was a Pep Up brand here in Ohio, as well as several other places.

7F5884D678AE49558F1815D051E6FA6E.jpg

Attachments

• 7F5884D678AE49558F1815D051E6FA6E.jpg
    7F5884D678AE49558F1815D051E6FA6E.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 43

jelizabeth

Reaction score
It's fun to find local stuff, huh? Sadly I'm in one of the two most over-collected (in every category) states -- Texana and Floridiana collectors are berserk. That equates to prices for most anything "Texas" being sky-high.

I have the red and the blue Fox, but not the blue Lazy B. I'll be on the lookout, though I should probably branch out before doing color variations.

Speaking of variations, I wonder if I'll ever be one of those collectors who wants more than one identical-looking bottle because they're from different cities? I hope not (for my wallet's sake ...)

splante

Reaction score
Julia welcome,
some nice bottles you have displayed, like the card too. I mainly collect acl's but have a range from meds to milks. Do not worry about asking questions that may have been asked before, everyone here is very helpful and glad to answer and you might be helping other new members who didnt think of a specific question, Ive been on for about a year and can't tell you how much help and info I have received from this site.
enjoy

Latest threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
A Giles